From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HCL web-page
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 09:15:17
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Monday, April 20, 2020 2:26:38 AM CEST Dale wrote:
3 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> On 04/19/2020 04:11 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
6 >>>>> There used to be webpage http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/
7 >>>>> where use could paste output of: lspci -n
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> But is no longer active, did it change?
10 >>>> That site seems to be gone. I did find some other info. Maybe one of
11 >>>> these links will help replace it.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> https://www.linuxjournal.com/supportedhardware
14 >>>>
15 >>>> https://linux-hardware.org/
16 >>>>
17 >>>> https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
18 >>>>
19 >>>> https://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility/
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Each site has its own way. One lists links to distro sites, another
22 >>>> probes your system to see if everything is supported, I didn't test
23 >>>> that, and others seem to list hardware separated by type, network, video
24 >>>> etc etc.
25 >>>>
26 >>>> I seem to recall using that site long ago. If I recall correctly, it
27 >>>> would find the correct kernel drivers etc for each piece of hardware.
28 >>>> Certainly made things easier when trying to do a install on a new
29 >>>> system. Sad to see it is gone.
30 >>>>
31 >>>> Dale
32 >>>>
33 >>>> :-) :-)
34 >>> I think using: lspci -kn
35 >>> will do the trick, it lists the kernel driver in use.
36 >> If I recall correctly, it has to be enabled already for it to show
37 >> that. If you have a limited boot media that doesn't support some piece
38 >> of hardware, it won't help. It works more to confirm the driver is
39 >> loaded than anything. If doing a new install, or more important about to
40 >> purchase new hardware, those types of sites can be of real help. Also
41 >> true if you run windoze and want to switch or dual boot. I suspect that
42 >> site that does the probing thing is for people using windoze but wanting
43 >> to switch.
44 >>
45 >> It works if you already have the right driver enabled tho.
46 >>
47 >> Dale
48 >>
49 >> :-) :-)
50 > If you boot from one of the "enable everything" live distributions, you will
51 > find it.
52 >
53 > I miss HCL as well.
54 >
55 > --
56 > Joost
57
58 That's true but in the past, I've ran into times where a driver wasn't
59 included.  I ran into that once with a network card.  The driver for it
60 had to be installed similar to how a video driver is.  In that case, it
61 doesn't work.  Could be a somewhat rare occurrence but worth mentioning.
62
63 Dale
64