From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hyperthreading
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:29:56
1 I haven't been able to find clear info on Hyperthreading, but from what I
2 can tell it appears that with Hyperthreading On;
3 1. per core performance is slightly reduced
4 2. you can run two threads per core, but there is some contention between
5 threads
6
7 So, generally, if you have less busy threads than cores, you should leave it
8 off and if you have more busy threads than cores you should turn it on.
9
10 Does that sound right?
11
12 I assume that newer Nehalem/Core i7 HT (otherwise known as simultaneous
13 multi-threading, SMT) just has less contention between threads than the
14 older P4 HT, but the busy threads vs core principle remains.