From: Alberto Luaces <aluaces@×××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Rootkit?
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 15:38:33
1 Nilesh Govindarajan writes:
2
3 > One of the servers I manage has a strange problem.
4 >
5 > Every 24h, someone starts a process shows up as perl in the list, but
6 > launching command is /usr/sbin/httpd.
7 > It shows just one process, but when I run something like this:
8 >
9 > ps -C perl -o cmd,pid
10 >
11 > I get some 5-6 processes alternatively with cmd as /usr/sbin/httpd or
12 > /usr/bin/perl.
13 >
14 > The even more interesting thing is, /usr/sbin/httpd does not exist.
15 > I suspect a rootkit, but chkrootkit & rkhunter reported nothing.
16 >
17 > Also, I found a mysterious file: /tmp/ips.txt with following content:
18 > xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
19 > 127.0.0.1
20 > addr:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
21 > addr:
22 > addr:127.0.0.1
23 > addr:
24 >
25 > Somebody is aware of a malware/rootkit which creates such files?
26
27 I had some of that recently. The attacker used a instance of phpmyadmin
28 to inject into its URL a wget command to download a perl script from
29 another site. Look for `wget' into apache logs.
32 Alberto