From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] About Mozilla cache and online video watching
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:52:22
1 I'm sorry to be bringing so much stuff up on this forum that is
2 actually off topic. No one has complained but if anyone knows where
3 this question should be sent... please let me know.
4
5 I'm trying to work out the sequence of events when playing videos from
6 the internet. There are many freebies out there to practice on and
7 some even worth keeping. Lots of tutorial type stuff.
8
9 In the current case when I click a link to play a specific video I'm
10 seeing a file downloaded into firefox cache that appears to persist for
11 apparently whatever time user has set for cache stuff to linger.
12 They pile up in there as more links are clicked.
13
14 When I click a link a video appears in the browser window being played
15 by mplayer and is in qt format. A file name consisting of numbers and
16 uppercase letters appears in the cache. That file can be renamed with
17 a *.mov (quicktime) extension and will play in mplayer or quicktime
18 there after.
19
20 However something strange happens when the file size is slightly above
21 25mb. In that case the name that appeared in the cache when
22 downloading started, suddenly and instantly disappears when the
23 download finishes. The embedded browser player can still play it as
24 much as desired but the on disk file has totally disappeared or been
25 moved somewhere else. The cache shows zero files, yet the embedded
26 player seems unaffected.
27
28 It appears to occur consistently just slightly above 25mb as reported
29 by reiserfs and closely confirmed by information on the website that
30 tells the file size.
31
32 The online material itself does not appear to be protected or whatever since
33 they are offered for free right on the internet for anyone. No login
34 or the like required.
35
36 I'm pretty sure the file is not being held in memory at that size and
37 in fact one would expect the smaller ones to also be if that were the
38 case.
39
40 I would like to understand what is happening but don't really have a
41 good idea how to track it down. Or even where to take such a question
42 or search for information that might help.
43
44 In the future I'd like to offer some of my own videos to my far flung
45 family across the internet and would like to have a pretty good grasp
46 on how it all works on both ends. Since I will be expected to debug
47 or otherwise make sure things work smoothly.
51 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list