From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] uevent_helper on kernel 3.16.5-gentoo
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:37:46
1 I understand that udev needs or used to need uevent_helper, but I am not clear
2 if I should or should not enable this module in a new kernel I'm rolling. Can
3 you please advise:
6 CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER:
7
8 The uevent helper program is forked by the kernel for
9 every uevent.
10 Before the switch to the netlink-based uevent source, this was
11 used to hook hotplug scripts into kernel device events. It
12 usually pointed to a shell script at /sbin/hotplug.
13 This should not be used today, because usual systems create
14 many events at bootup or device discovery in a very short time
15 frame. One forked process per event can create so many processes
16 that it creates a high system load, or on smaller systems
17 it is known to create out-of-memory situations during bootup.
18
19 Symbol: UEVENT_HELPER [=y]
20 Type : boolean
21 Prompt: Support for uevent helper
22 Location:
23 -> Device Drivers
24 -> Generic Driver Options
25 Defined at drivers/base/Kconfig:3
29 Support for uevent helper (UEVENT_HELPER) [Y/n/?] (NEW)
32 Regards,
33 Mick