From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to minimise resource usage during emerge
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:49:55
1 Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
2 > I have a very small virtual server (just 64MB RAM, no swap) where I'm
3 > trying to install Gentoo. It fails to emerge binutils due to out of
4 > memory. According to the handbook I need 64MB RAM and 256MB swap as a
5 > bare minimum so this result is not entirely unexpected.
6 >
7 > Given that I can't add a swapfile (simply not possible in this virtual
8 > server) is the only option more RAM? If yes, then what is the minimum?
9 > Are there ways to reduce the amount of memory used by emerge?
10
11 64MB is not enough, not by any stretch of the imagination. Not for
12 running the system, but for emerge. 512MB should be there for building
13 with -O2. At *least* 384MB. You'll have a hard time compiling the
14 compiler itself though; RAM usage with -O2 goes up to 700MB.
15
16 With that being said, you can minimize RAM usage by using -O1, or even
17 -O0 to switch off the optimizer completely. The runtime speed of the
18 built programs won't be to your liking though.
19
20 The only real option is to get more RAM.