From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] is this samsung i-pod-like thing kaput?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:30:12
1 Hello everybody,
2
3 Have a Samsung YH-820, 5-gig USB iPod-like music
4 player. It shows up in lsusb and dmesg.
5
6 sfdisk lists four empty partitions. Each one starts at
7 cylinder 0 but the last cylinder line just has three
8 dashes '---'. The <c,h,s> part indicates 0 cyls, 64
9 sects, 32 secs/track. O cyls? That's not right,
10 surely.
11
12 At the end of all this info is:
13
14 'read: input/output error-cannot read sector 0' and
15 'unrecognized partition table type'
16
17 An attempt at dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512
18 count=1 found no such address.
19
20 mkdosfs -F16 -I /dev/sdb resulted in 'Attempting to
21 create a too large filesystem'
22
23 Attempts to mount the thing result in 'can't read
24 superblock'
25
26 Each of these commands take about 10 mins to complete.
27 Seems way to long to me, and I have a fairly fast
28 system w/1 G RAM, but this is my first experience with
29 these types of devices.
30
31 Is is time to give up, tell the owner he needs a new
32 HD?
33
34 -mw
40 Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year.
41 http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list