From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 64-bit system?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:55:48
1 On 9/18/06, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm putting together a new system and I'm considering going 64-bit.
3 > Is the benefit of such a system pretty much speed? What are the
4 > drawbacks of using a 64-bit system with Gentoo?
5
6 You'll only notice a speed increase with applications that need to
7 caculate very large numbers, like encryption keys and certain
8 scientific apps. Everything else will basically run just as fast in
9 32-bit mode as it will in 64-bit. There are exceptions in certain
10 media encoders that don't have hardware optimizations for 64-bit, that
11 may actually run faster as 32-bit apps.
12
13 Anyway, I think this article summed it up pretty well:
14
15 http://lwn.net/Articles/199229/
16
17 -Richard