From: Daniel van Ham Colchete <daniel.colchete@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Linux too damn slow if memory > 3GB
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:34:33
1 Hello everyone!!!
2
3 May be somebody can shed some light here... I'm building a server here with
4 4GB of RAM memory. The fact is, if I boot with mem=3072M everything goes as
5 fast as it should but I'm not using 1GB of memory. If I don't put the mem
6 option, Linux will see 4GB of memory available but it will be damn slow
7 (really).
8
9 To make Linux recognize 4 gigs of memory I had to activate HIGHMEM=64GB,
10 otherwise it only recognizes 3279MB (but it is fast).
11
12 My processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 (1.86Ghz). The motherboard is
13 Intel. I'm running Gentoo at 32bits mode and the kernel version is
14 2.6.20-gentoo-r8.
15
16 Any lights would be very appreciated.
17
18 Best regards,
19 Daniel Colchete