From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's Python policy drives me crazy
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 19:07:28
1 On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 2:00 PM Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be> wrote:
2 >
3 > Today's updating involves some package which causes rebuilding
4 > a package which needs Python2.7 and another one which needs
5 > python_single_target_python3_8
6 > required by that mysterious @__auto_slot_operator_replace_installed__
7 >
8 > To emerge the Python2.7 package (Scribus) I do need to set
9 > PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7"
10 > in /etc/portage/make.conf
11 > which makes the whole update fail since the other packages needs
12 > PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_8"
13 >
14 > So, what can I brave Gentoo user do?
17 Set PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET in package.env and not make.conf. That is
18 definitely a setting that can't be set globally.
19
20 That said, the way python works on Gentoo certainly gets a lot of
21 people confused. Also, just a heads-up that python 2.7 probably will
22 be leaving the main repository in the next few weeks unless somebody
23 steps up to maintain it.
26 Rich