From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo minimal CD not runable on 64MB RAM machine
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:01:59
1 On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:27, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Um, why do you want to use gentoo on such a system anyway? If it will be a
4 > text-only system, being used as router or something, okay, this would
5 > probably work, but other distros could do this as well.
8 I have run and mantained a Pentium 100 (yeah, I know), with 48MB of RAM
9 (EDO) running for 2 years straight, it served DHCP, HTTP, FTP and MySQL to
10 around 90 stations with not much traffic or requests. I strongly recomend
11 distcc, but some packages refuse to use it (notably gcc and glibc, AFAIK) so
12 prepare for some compile time. I recall spending 5 days in a GCC compile...
13 Anyway, they said it couldn't be done, and I did it, lol.
14
15 The old Gentoo minimal was able to boot in this system with some tricks
16 (using a floppy to load the CDROM boot, cause obviously the BIOS was unable
17 to boot from CD and some parameters passed to LILO disabling almost every
18 module).
19
20 Last time I tested, DSL-N was able to boot and install Gentoo with no
21 problems in such a system.
24 Daniel da Veiga