From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:37:23
1 Mick wrote:
2 > Thank you all for your replies,
3 >
4 > On Tuesday 27 November 2007, Chris Frederick wrote:
5 >
6 >> Dale wrote:
10 >>> I also ran into something like this on a local network. I corrected
11 >>> this by adding the remote systems to my hosts file and putting the entry
12 >>> in the host file on the remote system.
13 >>>
14 > [ship...]
17 >> I've had this problem as well. I've added "UseDNS no" to the
18 >> sshd_config file and that had the same result. I usually only had high
19 >> latency establishing the connection though. Once the connection was
20 >> established and I was logged in, everything was fast again.
23 > The problem is not with the DNS servers. I use IP addresses to access these
24 > machines and when I have tried FQDNs it makes no odds.
27 >> I've also had connection issues while transferring files through ssh,
28 >> and I got around that (somewhat) by added "-l" to the scp command. This
29 >> tries to throttle the connection speed, and I can usually keep a
30 >> connection going with that. I say that is somewhat fixed the issue
31 >> because I also need to use ssh to port forward to an internal database
32 >> and run scripts there, but there's no way that I know to do the same
33 >> throttling with a port forwarding ssh command.
36 > The -l option is to apply a protocol specific type of QoS and limit the
37 > bandwidth consumed by scp so that other critical services on the server don't
38 > run dry. My problem is that I do not seem to have enough bandwidth to start
39 > with.
40 >
41 > The ports of the servers are random numbers in the 200+ and 12000+ range and I
42 > have checked that no other applications are using/listening on these ports.
43 > I've not tried port 22 yet, but I'll give it a go tonight. I tend to use
44 > higher random ports just to achieve some basic 'security by obscurity' from
45 > script kiddies and botnets. The issue with port 22 is that the
46 > world-and-his-wife will try to hack in and cause DoS to the little bandwidth
47 > that seems to be available. :p Ha! I'll deal with this at the firewall.
48 >
49 > The datacenter servers are listening on port 22. This difference in
50 > performance between the production and the domestic servers also made me
51 > think that there may well be some traffic shaping by the ISPs at their
52 > routers, but don't know if I can test this for definite somehow.
53 >
54 > I don't think that setting up QoS at the domestic servers is going to make any
55 > difference. These machines are not stressed at all and off peak I can access
56 > them fine. It is at peak times that things really go pear shape, hence it
57 > should be a network congestion/traffic shaping issue. I don't know if people
58 > started going mad at the pre-Christmas online shopping and things have been
59 > particularly bad since last Saturday, or if it is just some ISP network
60 > maintenance that made my connections impossible.
61 >
62 > More about my trials and tribulations on port 22 tomorrow . . .
65 Just to add to this, I was using the IP address too and it was very
66 slow. This was also on a local network. After adding the lines to my
67 host files, it was fast no matter whether I used the name or the IP
68 address. I still don't understand why this matters tho.
69
70 Just a thought.
71
72 Dale