From: DPX-Infinity <dpx.infinity@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] X bitmap fonts and UTF-8
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:01:01
1 Hi.
2 I have some strange problem with X fonts (not freetype). I installed
3 xmonad, dzen2 and dmenu and configured the last two to use font
4 -xos4-terminus-medium-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1 (but I have this
5 problem in other fonts too) because I need the unicode for correct
6 display of russian letters (i have ru_RU.UTF-8 locale, so koi8-r is
7 not my option). But russian text looks very strange. The text from
8 xmonad (for example, window captions) contains one symbol per one
9 russian letter, but it is not correct - something like 0?8A0BL ?8AL<>
10 . In the text in dmenu (or in dzen2 when I pipe output from echo to it
11 on the console) the letters are not displayed as hieroglyphs or
12 strange symbols; each letter consists of an ' (apostrophe sign) and
13 one symbol from ASCII table from Q up to q (33 chars totally). I have
14 found no correspondence between UTF-8 bytes and these pairs (but the
15 first byte in russian letters is also the same). The same
16 configuration of xmonad and dzen2 on my other machine (ubuntu) works
17 perfectly, and the text in xterm and emacs also looks very well. What
18 can this be?
19 Sorry for my bad language if it is such :)