From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:54:36
1 On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:51 AM Caveman Al Toraboran
2 <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > hi. context:
5 >
6 > 1. tinfoil hat is on.
7 > 2. i feel disrespected when someone does things to
8 > my stuff without getting my approval.
9 > 3. vps admin is not trusty and their sys admin may
10 > read my emails, and laugh at me!
11 > 4. whole thing is not worth much money. so not
12 > welling to pay more than the price of a cheap
13 > vps. moving to dedicated hardware for me is
14 > not worth it. my goal is to make it annoying
15 > enough that cheap-vps's admins find it a bad
16 > idea for them to allocate their time to mingle
17 > with my stuff.
18 >
19 > thoughts on how to maximally satisfy these
20 > requirements?
21 >
22 > rgrds,
23 > cm.
26 I'm rather late to the game with this, but at the end of the day, mail
27 coming *into* a mail server isn't typically encrypted (and even that
28 is only the body, the headers can still reveal a great deal, and are
29 necessary for the server to work with it). A packet dump at the switch
30 will turn over every piece of mail you receive along the way. Email's
31 not designed for end to end security by default. Secondly, any hosting
32 on hardware you don't control is impossible to fully secure, if the
33 services on that end have to operate on the data at all. You can
34 encrypt the drive, encrypt the mail stores themselves, etc, but all of
35 those things will result in the encryption key being loaded into ram
36 while the VPS is running, and dumping ram from the hypervisor layer
37 destroys every illusion of security you had. Dedicated hardware in a
38 locked cabinet is as close as you get to preventing physical attacks
39 when you're hosting in someone else's DC, and that's not nearly in the
40 same market segment, price-wise, as a cheap VPS. At best, if you have
41 sensitive email that you're sending or receiving, work with the other
42 end of the communication and then encrypt the contents properly. Even
43 better, go with a larger scale, paid, solution in which your email
44 isn't even remotely worth the effort to tamper with for the hosting
45 company's employees, and hope the contractual obligations are
46 sufficient to protect you. If you have any sort of controlled data
47 going in and out of your email, step up to a plan that adheres to the
48 regulatory frameworks you're required to adhere to and make very sure
49 the contracts for it obligate the vendor to secure things properly on
50 their end (aws, azure/o365/etc mostly all have offerings for, at
51 least, US Gov level requirements).
54 Poison [BLX]
55 Joshua M. Murphy