From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: mike@××××××××.uk
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slightly OT, laptop for gentoo
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:58:17
1 On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:14:58 +0000
2 Mike Williams wrote:
3
4 > Hey all,
5 >
6 > I need a laptop. But the requirements are slightly odd.
7 > This is for a machine to stay in our colo cage for use as a barcode
8 > scanner, serial interface, basic GUI, and ssh server management
9 > console, etc. It needs to have USB for an eToken, PS2 for a barcode
10 > scanner, serial to manage PDUs KVM etc, on-board ethernet, and not be
11 > flimsy, big, or expensive.
12 >
13 > Obviously we can easily get a USB to serial adapter, meaning we'd
14 > need at least 2 USB ports, but a PS2 keyboard port seems a rarity
15 > now-a-days.
16 >
17 > Battery life isn't really important. Doesn't need to be a properly
18 > ruggadized, just sturdy. 15" or so screen, with a decent resolution
19 > to fit webpages and OO documents etc, 17" is too big. 512-1G of ram,
20 > so-so CPU (this P4M 1.8 I'm using is way more than powerful enough).
21 >
22 > Can anyone recommend a laptop that does all these things, runs Linux
23 > happily (Gentoo of course), and isn't a Thinkpad (I was forced to use
24 > one a few years ago, and hated it).
25
26 Have you thought about a PS/2 to USB adapter? I'm presently using a
27 PS/2 keyboard _and_ a PS/2 mouse connected to a single USB port (with a
28 "Y" adapter -- dual PS/2 inputs and USB output).
29
30 Also a USB hub might work to connect multiple USB devices to a single
31 port.
32
33 HTH,
34