From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Resizing a FAT partition?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:06:10
1 On Thursday 30 Jul 2015 20:52:24 Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > 2015-07-30 16:26 GMT-03:00 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>:
3 > > On 2015-07-30, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > > On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:32:05 +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 > > >> Firstly I want to shrink the first partition and secondly it is a
6 > > >> plain FAT32 partition not ext-something. I did not find a
7 > > >> "resizefat32" or similiar.
8 > > >
9 > > > You need fatresize, which doesn't appear to be in portage. The approach
10 > > > when reducing a partition's size is to first reduce the size of the
11 > > > filesystem, to slightly less than the final partition size for safety.
12 > > > Then delete and recreate the partition, with the same starting point.
13 > > > Finally resize the filesystem to fill the new partition.
14 > > >
15 > > >> What tools do I need?
16 > > >
17 > > > The easiest way is probably to use GParted, which does all the hard
18 > > > work for you, just tell it the new size of the partition. It will also
19 > > > create the second partition for you, as a bonus.
20 > >
21 > > I've read good things about Parted Magic:
22 > > https://partedmagic.com/
23 > >
24 > > AFAICT, it's a friendly front-end to parted (as is GParted), but also
25 > > includes some extra abilities like cloning partitions and disks for
26 > > backup purposes.
27 > >
28 > > >> (beside the way to backup the SDcard, reinitialize it, put 2
29 > > >> partitions on it and copy back the stuff.)
30 > > >
31 > > > Given that you should backup any important data before resizing any
32 > > > filesystem, this may be the easiest method.
33 > >
34 > > I've had resize operations go pear-shaped on me. I haven't seen it
35 > > often, but I wouldn't attempt a resize without a backup copy of the
36 > > partition involved.
37 > >
38 > > --
39 > > Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Did YOU find a
40 > >
41 > > at DIGITAL WATCH in YOUR
42 > >
43 > > box
44 > >
45 > > gmail.com of VELVEETA?
46 >
47 > Flash memory devices are tricky when you try do defrag, as there is extra
48 > logic inside them to do the opposite: spread as much data as possible, as
49 > to equalize the number of write operations - the main limit for flash
50 > memory - for all sectors.
51 >
52 > Most defrag tools do this by reading files to RAM, reordering them, erasing
53 > the originals from the media, then writing them again, using no direct
54 > sector access, leaving that to the operating system. And it works on
55 > magnetic media, as it creates empty spaces suitable for continuous files.
56 >
57 > So that extra logic may fool you, making you believe it worked, when it
58 > didn't.
59 >
60 > Considering this, as already said, I would copy everything to another
61 > media, set up a new partition layout, format the new partitions as desired,
62 > then get all data back to the new layout.
63 >
64 > Just my 2 cents, of course.
65 >
66 > Good luck
67 > Francisco
68
69 Good catch - I didn't notice it was an SDcard. Yes, defrag does not apply.
72 Regards,
73 Mick