From: Sebastian Wiesner <basti.wiesner@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6.25-r6 oddities; is this kernel really ready for stable?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:29:48
1 Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> at Wednesday 23 July 2008, 19:09:45
2 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 > > I run gentoo x86 stable, so that I usually avoid this sort of thing.
4 > >
5 > > This kernel, however, looks balky to me, because it's reporting
6 > > warnings and other oddities during compilation. I don't like warnings
7 > > at any time, and with the kernel's make wrappers cleaning up the
8 > > output they tend to stand out.
9 > >
10 > > Here's what I get:
11 > > -- various type/attribute warnings
12 > > -- reports of deprecated elements
13 > > -- a report of "section mismatches", and instructions to use "make
14 > > CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y" to find details.
15 > >
16 > > All that being said, the compilation completes, and I can boot it. I
17 > > don't know the cause, but I have been unable to get vmware-server
18 > > running on it, and I'm going back to the previous kernel for that
19 > > reason.
20 > > << SNIP >>
21 >
22 > You are not alone if having "issues" with this kernel. When I tried to
23 > run it recently, I noticed a serious slow down in KDE, especially when
24 > logging into KDE. My usual login time is about 7 to 8 seconds but with
25 > this kernel, try about 30 seconds. My mouse was "jerky" and even
26 > Seamonkey was very slow to switch tabs. Nothing changed but the
27 > kernel. I didn't test to long because it was so annoying.
28
29 Don't forget to mention, that sun darkened and rain was coming, once you had
30 booted 2.6.25 ...
31
32 Compile issues are one thing, but putting all these "application issus" on
33 the kernel seems a bit unfair, especially, when admitting, that "you didn't
34 test long".
35
36 I have seen my KDE login or tab switching in firefox delayed, too, but not
37 because of any kernel upgrade, but because "updatedb" was taking action
38 right when I was logging in, or because a forgotton compile process on TTY1
39 took CPU power away.
40
41 I for my part didn't have any problems with 2.6.25-r6, neither at compile
42 time nor at runtime
43 --
44 Freedom is always the freedom of dissenters.
45 (Rosa Luxemburg)