From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge Problems...
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:57:56
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Nils Holland <nhg@×××××.org>
4 > On 20:12 Sat 29 Jan , BRM wrote:
5 > > A little while back my server ran out of hard disk space (due to a failed
6 >hard
7 >
8 > > drive) and as a result my local portage mirror got destroyed.
9 > > Well, I fixed there server - initially by just grabbing a new copy of
10 >portage
11 >
12 > > like a new install since it was just completely hosed, and the server is
13 >back up
14 >
15 > > and working. However, now my desktop and laptop are both having problems.
16 >They
17 >
18 > > sync just fine against the server, but I get a series of errors about not
19 >having
20 >
21 > > various ebuilds in the manifest files - so many that I can't emerge anything
22 >
23 > > (even portage).
24 >
25 > I believe you will already have checked this, but anyways:
26 >
27 > I once upon a time experienced a similar issue, which was caused by the fact
28 >that for some reason, I was only syncing new / modfied files from the source to
29 >my local portage tree, and not deleting no longer existent (on the source)
30 >files from the local tree. This resulted in emerge complaining about various
31 >ebuilds not being found.
32 >
33 > I was kind of shocked at first, then found my error, and on "properly"
34 >(including deletes) syncing with my portage source everything immediately
35 >started working fine again on the local (destination) machine.
36 >
37 > But again, I believe it's highly unprobable that this is your problem, because
38 >if you synced "correctly" before your server had to be re-setup, I would
39 >believe that you're doing it correctly now as well, at least I can't see what
40 >should have changed concering the sync due to the act of replacing the
41 >server...
44 May be I didn't get the server back up right? Not sure.
45 Any how...the primary issue was resolved once I "deleted" the server's portage
46 mirror and than ran rsync again to grab a fresh copy.
47 I'm pretty sure it would have to be how I rsync'd the mirror since I lost my
48 mirroring script the old hard drive died.
49 I just wrote a new script last night, but I'm still not sure that all of the
50 parameters are correct - I'll check into that more this evening.
51 Once I get it right, I'll restore it do doing the daily mirror syncs again.
52
53 Now I just have to get past all the issues coming up in the updates and
54 rebuilds, but that was to be expected.
55
56 Thanks!
57
58 Ben