From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DNS from dialup or wifi for broadband connection?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 21:51:09
1 Am Sun, 12 Mar 2017 03:18:59 -0400
2 schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
3
4 > Starting a separate topic, rather than hijack the main thread...
5 >
6 > On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 01:50:26PM -0600, Corbin Bird wrote
7 > >
8 > > 6 # : ISP is starting to filter customers web access. The ISP is
9 > > deciding what sites customers are allowed to see. ( look up the
10 > > practice called "ransom" ).
11 >
12 > Does this consist of grabbing outbound traffic to port 53? If so, I
13 > wonder if the following is possible...
14 >
15 > * Can a POTS dialup or a wifi connection co-exist with a broadband
16 > connection? It would make the network config and route config more
17 > complex.
18
19 Complex? Not really. Just put static DNS IPs into your resolver config,
20 and add a static route for these destinations:
21
22 for tunnel devices like ppp:
23 # route add 8.8.4.4 dev ppp-interface
24
25 or
26
27 for LAN router:
28 # route add 8.8.4.4 gw ip-of-your-dialup-router
29
30 And then do not let the dialup line set a default route.
31
32 > * If yes, can iptables be used to redirect only outbound-to-port-53
33 > traffic to the dialup/wifi connection, with everything else going to
34 > the broadband connection?
35
36 You could but this becomes more complicated. I think this would have to
37 go into the pre-routing chain. But I don't recommend fiddling around
38 with that.
39
40 > * Another option, if you know the alternate DNS server address in
41 > advance, set up routing of the /32 (for the alternate DNS server)
42 > to ppp0 or wlan0 with higher priority than the default route. This
43 > doesn't require any iptables magic.
44
45 As stated above... And you don't need to set higher priority. The best
46 matching rules are always tried before routing rules with lower
47 matching destinations, that means /32 destination rules are matched
48 before /24 destination rules, and so forth. The default gateway is
49 matching IP destination 0/0. The priority is only considered when
50 multiple equally matching rules are found. Just remove the default
51 route via the ppp route to ensure nothing else will go over the slow
52 link.
53
54 > * Can the standard linux network stack handle this properly, and use
55 > incoming DNS responses from the dialup/wifi connection for the IP
56 > addresses of websites, etc to be accessed via broadband?
57
58 I don't see problems here. DNS is one request, HTTP is another. As long
59 as your broadband DNS doesn't resolve to some proxy IPs all should be
60 fine.
61
62 > DNS traffic is low volume, usually fitting into 1 packet. So it
63 > would be feasible to divert DNS requests to a lower-speed connection.
64 > The broadband ISP would handle all the highspeed website, etc, traffic
65 > but it would not see any DNS traffic, and would not be able to
66 > intercept it.
67
68 Yes.
72 Regards,