From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage package removals due to python-2.7
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 10:57:24
1 On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:50:42 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
4 > - app-emulation/virtualbox-bin-5.2.40.137108::gentoo (masked by:
5 > package.mask) /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
6 > # Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> (2020-08-22)
7 > # These packages (or package versions) still require Python 2.7.
8 > # They are either dead upstream, their Python 3 porting efforts are
9 > # not progressing or their maintainers are simply unresponsive.
10 > # Please do not remove any packages from this list unless you actually
11 > # port it to Python 3.
12 > # Removal in 30 days. Tracker bug #694800.
13 >
14 > For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
15 > man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
16 > =====================
17 >
18 > I have a number of VBox VM systems, some with active software licenses
19 > running on them and the VBox-bin is a low-maintenance and convenient
20 > way to run them. I'd prefer to avoid emerging a non-bin VBox. Is there
21 > some way I could keep older packages running in Gentoo, until more up
22 > to date versions appear again in the tree (if ever)?
23
24 Copy the ebuild to a local overlay and add app-emulation/virtualbox-bin
25 to /etc/portage/profile/package.unmask.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Having children will turn you into your parents.