From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild and kde-base/kdelibs:3.5
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 20:41:06
1 100102 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> Unfortunately there are some apps that do not have KDE4 replacements.
4 >> While I understand the Gentoo devs decision to drop the KDE3 desktop
5 >> and apps from portage, kdelibs should be kept as long as there are apps
6 >> depending on it. dropping all those apps is no the answer, not yet.
7 > Very true. Even if I use KDE 4 for the most part,
8 > I would still have to have KDE 3.5 for the things I can't do in KDE 4.
9
10 I haven't installed the KDE desktop pkgs (I use Fluxbox),
11 but I'm having no problem using KDE 4 for most apps
12 -- eg Konsole Gwenview Okular Kshisen Speedcrunch -- ,
13 while retaining Kdelibs 3.5.10 & 3 apps not available in KDE 4
14 (Ksokoban Kworldclock not ported, Kmahjongg no removed-tiles display).
15 I just updated to KDE 4.3.3 & there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca