From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 19:34:41
1 On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 5:58 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > Mark,
8 >
9 > I recompiled the kernel with more stuff as module, but I just had an
10 > idea to make sure the Behringer is the only card in the game: I
11 > disabled HD audio in the firmware settings. So: both Opera and Chrome
12 > play Youtube. aplay plays music files just fine, as it did before.
13 > Audacious also works (it requires modifying the former settings;
14 > that's probably what was missing before). So, I would say everything
15 > works, except stuff like discord. To my shame, I didn't check the logs
16 > with enough attention: it says:
17 >
18 > [000:000] [5256] (audio_device_pulse_linux.cc:1547): failed to load
19 symbol table
20 > [000:000] [5256] (audio_device_pulse_linux.cc:145): failed to
21 > initialize PulseAudio
22 > [000:000] [5256] (audio_device_impl.cc:377): Audio device initialization
23 failed.
24 >
25 > (To my defence: the ebuild does't try to pull pulseaudio; one would
26 > assume that it would be a dependency)
27 >
28 > Hence: no mystery at all, just the usual with linux nowadays.
29 >
30 > I'll keep searching for some audio chat package that works. mumble
31 > seems promising, but it requires an available server. zoom (which most
32 > people @work use) doesn't emerge. slack does emerge and vomits a
33 > totally unresponsive window (well, not *totally* unresponsive: Ctrl+Q
34 > works :))
35 >
36 > Since you use pulseaudio (per your latest post): can you send the
37 > contents of a wav file to an external DAC via toslink, without
38 > pulseaudio messing with the file? (Most people don't seem to care
39 > whether the signal is first converted to analog, and resampled, and
40 > converted to digital, and whatnot, before leaving the computer...)
41 >
42 > I appreciate the enormous amount of effort you put on this.
43 > Thanks
44 >
45 > Jorge
46
47 I'll investigate what I can do sending files by hand. However on the USB
48 only machine all the internal sound card hardware is blacklisted so modules
49 aren't loaded. I don't know that I want to upset the environment on that
50 machine very much but a bit more about this at the bottom of this post.
51
52 A bit of extra info:
53
54 <SNIP>
55 > First, I have only 1 card, the Focusrite Scarlett. Keep in mind I'm using
56 Kubuntu (KDE) and there is pulseaudio installed. I do not know what role
57 pulseaudio is playing in my sound stack but I assume it's involved.
58 <SNIP>
59
60 pavucontrol-qt (in KDE) gives me a clear view of what pulseaudio is doing,
61 in case you find out it's installed and running on your system. You
62 probably don't have the qt version on a non-KDE system I suspect.
63
64 I am tending to trust this link for a description of pulseaudio's purpose.
65
66 https://superuser.com/questions/144648/how-do-alsa-and-pulseaudio-relate
67
68 It provides a horizontal VU meter corresponding to what an application is
69 producing.
70
71 The description seems consistent with Matt's earlier post. Essentially in
72 the old days Alsa itself could only handle one application's audio on each
73 (logical) channel of a given card. This meant you couldn't run two audio
74 apps at the same time unless you mixed the audio in a mixer outside of the
75 machine. The original solution for this problem - say you're playing a CD
76 but want to hear system sounds also - was (I believe) dmix but it was
77 difficult to use for the average desktop user. Anyway, after some time
78 pulseaudio came along as a means of automatically combining lots of
79 software sound sources into a single stream that goes to whatever card you
80 want it to go to. On paper anyway it supports Alsa, Jack and OSS as the
81 underlying audio hardware target and mixes any sound sources that know how
82 to talk to pulseaudio.
83
84 On my big machine I have a lot more audio hardware enabled:
85
86 (base) mark@science:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
87 0 [DSP ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
88 RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 at 0xfbef0000, irq 16
89 1 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
90 HDA Intel at 0xf9ff8000 irq 37
91 2 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
92 HDA NVidia at 0xfb9fc000 irq 38
93 (base) mark@science:~$
94
95 On this machine all KDE audio (notifications, youtube, vlc, whatever) goes
96 to card 1, the HDA Intel motherboard device. card 0 is 'disabled' in KDE
97 but has Alsa drivers loaded (obviously - it's in the list above) so I can
98 talk to it directly with Mixbus. Essentially KDE and pulseaudio don't even
99 know it's there. My outboard DAC is attached to the HDSP spdif port. KDE
100 audio goes out the headphone port and back into the machine through an 8
101 channel outboard ADC and is 'mixed' in the HDSP with audio created in my
102 'creative' environment. There's a bit of extra latency (50ms) doing it this
103 way but it works great. On this machine I'm pretty much free to play with
104 virtual cards and the like which I might do.
105
106 Anyway, last thing for now would be that I'm still willing and slightly
107 interested in looking at discord/zoom/whatever for my own needs. If I make
108 some headway, or if you want to collaborate in that area let me know,
109 either through gentoo-user of privately.
110
111 Cheers,
112 Mark