From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of gcc-4.7.3...how?
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 15:56:29
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-20 02:47]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [14-12-19 17:08]:
4 > >> Mick wrote:
5 > >>> Meino, to avoid misunderstandings: 1. Emerge the new gcc package. 2.
6 > >>> Use gcc-config to change to the new gcc version. 3. Run 'env-update &&
7 > >>> source /etc/profile'. 4. Run fix_libtool_files.sh, although I would
8 > >>> think that this is redundant these days. 5. Unmerge the old gcc version.
9 > >> I don't recall ever running fix_libtool_files.sh after switching gcc
10 > >> versions. Usually when I see a gcc upgrade, I emerge it, switch to it
11 > >> and the usual profile thing, run emerge -e world JUST to be safe, then
12 > >> unmerge the old gcc. That's all I usually do here. I have skipped the
13 > >> emerge -e world a time or two.
14 > >>
15 > >> Am I just lucky, not likely as some may know, or does emerge -e world
16 > >> catch it or what? Now I'm curious.
17 > >>
18 > >> Dale
19 > >>
20 > >> :-) :-)
21 > >>
22 > >>
23 > > Hi Dale,
24 > >
25 > > I started compiling the new gcc this morning about ~7:00 AM...just a
26 > > few minutes ago stage3 finishes. Now ... before doing anything else...
27 > > I am makeing a backup of all that, so...if anything fails...I am able
28 > > to reinstall the status quo.
29 > >
30 > > I will keep you informed, what happens to my little embedded system...
31 > >
32 > > Best
33 > > Meino
37 > That's the thing about slow systems, you want to do it right the first
38 > time because it takes to much time to repeat something. Heck, I have a
39 > 4 core AMD CPU with 16GBs of ram here and I still would rather do it
40 > right the first time. If you have something slow that takes days to do
41 > something, you really want plan A to work.
42 >
43 > I'm also wondering if there have been changes to emerge that could make
44 > a difference. I run the latest unstable non *9999 version. I sorta
45 > like having all the new improvements. I'm just not sure if that affects
46 > the issue here is all.
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
50 > :-) :-)
53 Hi,
54
55 after a few more non-booting-systems and backup-reinstalls I think
56 I know whats the reason is...but by I dont know how to get out of it:
57
58 The system becomes inaccessible if I do an env-update and reboot.
59
60 Reason for that are binaries, in which the path to the old gcc is
61 hardcoded. With the sdcard mounted I checked that with my PC:
62 I did a
63
64 grep -r '\/usr\/lib\/gcc\/armv7a-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi\/4.7.3'
65
66 on ALL files of the sdcard and found "thousands" of hardcoded links
67 to the old gcc inside binaries...
68
69 The new gcc installed but not doing env-update implies that any
70 further compilation will link to the old gcc.
71
72 Doing env-update implies a system which will not survive the next
73 reboot.
74
75 What now?
76