From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CUPS server cannot be contacted
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 16:02:29
1 Hi,
2 I decided I wanted to sell my Mac Mini as it's turned out to be
3 nothing but a glorified print server. (No one uses it including me.)
4 Anyway, I'm trying to move my HP printer from the Mac to my Gentoo box
5 using the Gentoo Printing Guide:
6
7 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
8
9 The printer is hooked up and I can print test pages from my local
10 machine using the CUPS admin page in Firefox. However, when I open a
11 terminal and type lpq I have problems:
12
13 lightning ~ # lpq
14 lpq: Unable to contact server!
15 lightning ~ #
16
17 and inside of an app like Open Office I don't see the printer. It just
18 says Generic Printer. If I try the Printer Admin app in Gnome it says
19 the CUPS server cannot be contacted.
20
21 The two changes I've tried in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf, as per the guide, are:
22
23 <Location />
24 Order Deny,Allow
25 Deny From All
26 Allow From 127.0.0.1
27 Allow From 192.68.1.*
28 </Location>
31 and this
34 Port localhost:631
35
36 or this
39 #Port localhost:631
40
41 It seems I must be missing something obvious. I have restarted cupsd
42 after each config file change but nothing helps yet.
43
44 Where do I look to get info to help fix this up?
45
46 Thanks,
47 Mark
48 --