From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cacti vs JFFNMS
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:05:01
1 On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, James wrote:
2
3 > I'm searching for a new network management system (tired of MRTG) that will
4 > allow for the management of systems, routers, and various SNMP(1-3) devices.
5 > JFFNMS and Cacti are the closest packages I have found. Cacti is implemented as
6 > an ebuild, while JFFNMS lists an ebuild as a 'todo' item. JFFNMS can also be
7 > ran on top of postgresql, for aggressive and large backend database
8 > installations.
9
10 Also check out Zabbix if you have time ;-)
11 http://www.zabbix.com/index.php
12
13 > Installation aside, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with either
14 > ofthese 2 packages, what you like/dislike and why. If you have q heterogeneous
15 > device management software package, that you feel is better than either JFFNMS
16 > or Cacti, then I'd like to know 'why' it's better, and how difficult is it to
17 > set up.
18
19 I have used Cacti but not JFFNMS (which looks great BTW). The ebuild
20 installed without any problems - there was some MySQL setup required but
21 nothing complicated. All Cacti does is RRD graphs and NOTHING else. (So
22 if you want to actively manage stuff, fire alerts and that kind of stuff
23 look elsewhere). Cacti can use SNMP or scripts to pull data - so you can
24 write custom scripts if you need to. There is a small learning curve to
25 setting it up but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy to
26 setup a graph for almost any data source - even weather data (almost
27 becomes addictive ;-)
28
29 > Nagios gets pretty good reviews, and I like the HVAC (heating ventilation & air
30 > conditioning) hack via Esensors even though it is SOLD and not Opensource.
31 > However, Nagios is just now moving to php on top of rrdtools, so it's gui is
32 > likely to be in flux for a year or two.
33
34 We use Nagios but have been playing around with Zabbix (also PHP-based)
35 too. If Nagios moves to PHP and adds more graphing then it will probably
36 replace both Cacti and Zabbix.
41 Aj.
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list