From: Richard Marza <richardmarzan@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] synchronize portage files in a LAN
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 06:03:24
1 From: Crístian Viana
2 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
3 Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:32 PM
4 Subject: [gentoo-user] synchronize portage files in a LAN
7 hi,
10 I have 7 computers in local network and I want them to have always the same portage files (the ones synchronized with rsync). of course I can use crontab to make them sync at a specific time but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative. I saw a wiki page which says to create one local rsync server and have the other 6 computers synchronize with it (by pointing the SYNC variable to the local rsync server). but I also thought NFS could be nice: I just have to sync one machine and everyone will always be "synchronized".
13 what's the best approach for this case?
16 thanks!
19 Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
29 The options you mentioned is the best...Just settup the rsync server on the machine you want it on and then setup a cront job to update it daily. Set your 6 hosts to use your local rsync server machine and create cron jobs for the 6 machines. Just make sure that their cron jobs are 5-10 minutes ahead of when the local rsync server updates it's files.