From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Two new-install questions
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 05:27:25
1 1) Look Ma... no cpio. During my first attempt to build a kernel, it
2 died because the process couldn't find "cpio". I ran "emerge -1 cpio"
3 and tried again, finishing successfully. "emerge -p --depclean" wants
4 to remove it, which should not be happening. To overcome that I ran
5 "emerge --noreplace cpio" which put cpio into my world set, keeping it
6 safe. Why is this happening in the first place?
7
8 2) When building xorg-server I got a news item about the "suid" flag
9 soon no longer being default for xorg-server. I forced it manually on
10 my laptop and desktop. The other 3 options were...
11
12 * systemd... no thanks.
13 * elogind... with PAM doing the authentication... no thanks. I've
14 tangled with PAM in the past once too often.
15 * some memory-heavy "desktop environment" on my 3-gigs-ram-laptop...
16 no thanks.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications