From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] smplayer and kmplayer only works (almost) OK as root
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 08:28:36
1 On Sunday 03 Jul 2011 03:24:27 Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > Hi, All,
3 >
4 > I am trying to use smplayer or kmplayer as a regular user. They both don't
5 > work: kmplayer keeps saying that it is waiting mplayer buffering and
6 > smplayer reports "Mplayer has finished unexpectedly. Exit code:1".
7 >
8 > Running both as root from a terminal, the following message appeared:
11 > KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a
12 > valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you
13 > tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was
14 > created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
15 > kmplayer(8687): Session bus not found
16 > To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)
17 > export $(dbus-launch)
20 > I did that export while still as root, and then both started to work, so
21 > there is no problem with them, but some setting is missing. Additionally,
22 > even that export did not work for smplayer/kmplayer as regular user.
23 >
24 > What should I do next? Where to look at?
25 >
26 > Thanks a lot
27 > Francisco
28 > "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
29 > and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have
30 > one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two
31 > ideas." - George Bernard Shaw
32
33 Is dbus running? What do you get from:
34
35 # /etc/init.d/dbus status
36
37 and
38
39 $ echo $(dbus-launch)
40
41 Finally, launch mplayer -msglevel all=6 <some_video_file> to see what you get
42 on the command line. You can increase -msglevel 6 up to 9 to get more verbose
43 debugging output. Press q to stop the debugging session - you only need the
44 first couple of screenfulls, until it starts the PARSE messages.
45 --
46 Regards,
47 Mick