List Archive: gentoo-user
Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date.
provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.c.f. bug 424647
1. Merge one of the 2.6 kernels - I used gentoo-dev-sources.
2. Change the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to the /usr/src/2.6directory
3. Cd /usr/src/linux and do a make menuconfig
4. Go through the menu and select the options you want. I don't recommend taking the 2.4 .config and running make oldconfig on it.
5. Exit menuconfig (save!)
6. Run make && make modules_install
7. Copy the bzImage to /boot - mount /boot first if it's not already.
8. Set LILO or Grub up so that you have another kernel entry it can boot - I call mine Test.
As for udev I went from 2.4 to 2.6 and just went with udev. Check the Gentoo docs for some docs on links to other docs on moving to udev.
> From: Maarten <gentoo@...>
> Date: 2004/12/06 Mon PM 05:47:43 GMT
> To: email@example.com
> Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6 upgrade howto
> Hi list,
> I'm new to the list (and gentoo) but not to linux.
> I just started with gentoo, had to use the 2004.2 image since 2004.3 crashed
> at installtime on my machine (thinkpad 600X)...
> I used stage 2. Since then I succesfully installed a lot of apps like KDE and
> such, but my kernel is still a selfmade 2.4 one. Now I
firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list