From: Renat Lumpau <rl03@g.o>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Upstream requirements for web-apps
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:44:03
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:18:21PM -0800, Wendall Cada wrote:
> I have been trying to find the time to become a Gentoo dev for a while > now. Stuart was kind enough to offer mentoring me. However, I often feel > overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things I need to know that I won't > ever work with. I really have no need to know about compile issues with > php or apache, other than reporting bugs on them, to be able to support > a few web-apps. I have enough knowledge of several languages to have an > idea of the nature of a certain bug, but am more skilled with high level > scripting languages like perl, php, python, etc. However, I feel that > what I'm getting myself into isn't what I'd like to do at all. I am > fully qualified to maintain any of the current CMS systems in the tree. > I have a working knowledge of the systems, have even personally written > some of the code. However, to become a dev, I'd have to work with > packages I don't even use. Not a very good way to attract developers or > maintainers.
I agree that in _this particular instance_ this isn't the best way to attract devs. Still, the dev quiz isn't _that_ hard. You are not expected to know in great detail how autotools works, for example. I think the point is that all devs have a baseline understanding of how the _whole_ thing works, not just their dusty corner of the tree. This ML isn't read by recruiters, however. They (and the council) will have final say, not us.
> Just the fact that webapp-config exists should explain my second point. > rant deleted ;)
I actually prefer to have w-c separately. For me, dealing with wrobel is much easier than working with carpaski/ferringb/whoever, simply because we can fix and release much more quickly than if we were part of Portage. And then there's the issue of distro independence and plans for world domination, but that should be directed to vhost-tools-dev :) -- Renat Lumpau all things web-apps GPG key id #C6A838DA on http://pgp.mit.edu Key fingerprint = 04AF B5EE 17CB 1000 DDA5 D3FC 1338 ADC2 C6A8 38DA