From: Stuart Herbert <Stuart.Herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-web-user] Java Script Libraries
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:50:39
1 Mmm ... what are you trying to achieve here?
2
3 a) /usr/share/js isn't served by any of our standard webserver installs;
4 files you place in here aren't downloadable
5 b) web-based apps will expect the javascript libraries to sit in a
6 specific location under the htdocs directory
7 c) different web-based apps will ship different versions of javascript
8 libraries
9 d) sooner or later, web-based apps will ship javascript libraries with
10 their own modifications. we already get that behaviour with apps that
11 ship bundled PEAR packages.
12 e) The Gentoo philosophy is to remain as close to upstream as possible.
13 Because we're a meta-distribution, and not a traditional distribution
14 like Red Hat, the only time we try and change what UPSTREAM does is when
15 we absolutely have to.
16
17 I don't think we need to do anything here.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Stu
21
22 -----Original Message-----
23 From: Gunnar Wrobel [mailto:wrobel@g.o]
24 Sent: 23 February 2006 06:44
25 To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
26 Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Java Script Libraries
29 >> I came across a php based webapp that includes a number of third
30 party
31 >> java script libraries (including MochiKit). Do we currently have any
32 >> standardized way of handling such libraries?
33 >>
34 >> Are there any other webapps that include java script libraries?
35 >
36 > Not that I'm aware of.
39 Ok, then I'll just open up /usr/share/js and add a small eclass
40 comparable to php-lib.eclass.
43 Gunnar Wrobel Gentoo Developer
45
46 Mail: wrobel@g.o