From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] webapp-config protect behaviour
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 16:36:22
1 Hi Panard!
2
3 > => added files are keeped, but modified ones are simply overwritten.
4
5 Stuart (the original webapp-config author) is currently too busy to
6 join the discussion. But I talked briefly with him and he confirmed
7 that we are using this type of behavior since portage does behave in
8 the same way.
9
10 > I think that droping user modifications to a webapp is quite grave. There is
11 > some reasons to modifify a webapp :
12 > - bug fixes
13 > - add some features, often about security, like adding verification code for
14 > registrations forms...
15 > - disabling some features, to prevent clients to use them
16 > - ....
17 >
18 > And if you want to upgrade to the latest version of this webapp, you will lose
19 > all these changes!
20 >
21 > I'm agree to the goal for after a webapp-config -U, your webapp is directly
22 > functionnal.
23 > But, I prefer waiting 3 minutes by doing etc-update and merging changes with
24 > the new version,
25 > than losing all my changes, temporaly block access to clients for security
26 > reason, and redo all my changes if I found time and motivation to do my work
27 > a second time....
28 > I mean, erasing user modification would put the webapp in a 'non-functionnal'
29 > state, and for a long time.... that's not the goal of a webapp installation
30 > tool.
31 >
32 > So why not use the CONFIG_PROTECT from make.conf to auto-protect server-owned
33 > files?
34
35 Yes, this is a reasonable solution to the problem. Currently we don't
36 take the CONFIG_PROTECT variable into account. It wouldn't be too hard
37 to do so. So one of the next versions will allow you to add your
38 server dir in CONFIG_PROTECT and that will prevent webapp-config from
39 overwriting anything in there.
40
41 Regards,
42