From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Upstream requirements for web-apps
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:14:36
1 Renat Lumpau <rl03@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 04:59:56PM +0100, wrobel@g.o wrote:
4 >> The current proposition is specified here:
5 >>
6 >> http://svn.gnqs.org/projects/gentoo-webapps-overlay/wiki/UpstreamRequirements
7 >>
8 >> In my discussion with Stuart this morning I did realize that there are
9 >> not too many packages available that would actually meet these
10 >> criteria. So far we probably have around five in the portage tree.
11 >
12 > I'm still not 100% clear on rationale for requirements as outlined there.
13 > As Gunnar pointed out, very few packages in Portage currently satisfy those.
14 > Perhaps it would make sense for us to start by outlining the goals of our
15 > upstream requirements (e.g., reliable contact in case of security bugs) and then
16 > decide how to best achieve them?
17 >
18 >> The main blocker are the security requirements since many projects do
19 >> not provide special security contacts or mailing lists devoted
20 >> security. For some projects this probably implies that they actually
21 >> don't care too much about security.
22 >
23 > This also makes it difficult for us to ship packages that are maintained by a
24 > one-man team. While there's something to be said about the maturity and
25 > reliability of such packages, we shouldn't automatically disqualify them.
26 >
27 >> I also had the impression that one of the packages that has been a
28 >> mojor problem last year (phpBB) actually nearly fulfills the current
29 >> requirement proposals (at least to a greater extend than many of the
30 >> smaller packages) but nonetheless has caused quite an amount of grief.
31 >> Having bugs tracker, announcement lists and security mails might not
32 >> always cover up for direct experience with the project itself.
33 >
34 > Excellent point.
35 >
36 >> So I would suggest that we enforce the current proposal in the all
37 >> cases where we do not have a developer in our herd actively using the
38 >> package. I think that any dev's of our herd that actively uses a
39 >> package is probably a better source of information about the security
40 >> of the package than the mailing lists of the project. At least as long
41 >> as I assume that we care a lot more about the security of our servers
42 >> than the average user. But I believe that's a safe bet.
43 >
44 > I don't actively use most of the packages I have been maintaining
45 > (bugzilla, otrs, joomla etc). This means that we'd still have to drop a large
46 > number of ebuilds. Perhaps that's not such a bad thing though.
47 >
48 > I've been toying with the idea of limiting Portage to a key set of web-apps that
49 > are broken down into several categories such as CMS, wiki engines, fora, etc.
50 > Personally, I don't think we need to ship every wiki package out there. Of
51 > course, we'd need to tread carefully to avoid the appearance of limiting
52 > end-user choice, which is where our overlay comes in. Any thoughts on this?
53 >
54 > --
55 > Renat Lumpau
56 > all things web-apps
57 > GPG key id #C6A838DA on http://pgp.mit.edu
58 > Key fingerprint = 04AF B5EE 17CB 1000 DDA5 D3FC 1338 ADC2 C6A8 38DA
61 Gunnar Wrobel Gentoo Developer
63
64 Mail: wrobel@g.o
65 WWW: http://www.gunnarwrobel.de