From: codesite-noreply@××××××.com
To: gnap-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gnap-dev] [gnap-dev commit] r129 - trunk/tools/rebuild_stages
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:28:09
1 Author: rieggepp
2 Date: Thu Jul 3 02:27:40 2008
3 New Revision: 129
4
5 Added:
6 trunk/tools/rebuild_stages/README
7
8 Log:
9 Added README file for rebuild_stages.
10
11 Added: trunk/tools/rebuild_stages/README
12 ==============================================================================
13 --- (empty file)
14 +++ trunk/tools/rebuild_stages/README Thu Jul 3 02:27:40 2008
15 @@ -0,0 +1,48 @@
16 +Welcome to rebuild-stages!
17 +==========================
18 +
19 +This is a Makefile i wrote in order to rebuild stage3s for different
20 chosts. I
21 +wrote it during googel summer of code 2007 and improved a little after
22 that. I
23 +did not like gnap_make at that time, because there was too much
24 hackery to do
25 +to get the dependencies right and what not, so i decided to
26 reimplement some
27 +of the functionality in a Makefile. On the long run it could be
28 interesting to
29 +replace some of gnap_makes' functionality by a Makefile.
30 +
31 +Howto use rebuild-stages:
32 +=========================
33 +
34 +I used it like that:
35 +1) Create directory for your needs. I created one for test builds (-latest
36 + portage snapshots) and one for release builds (_date directories).
37 +2) Copy Makefile from i386-uclibc or any other existing dir there.
38 Other files
39 + might be needed to, best check which files in already existing
40 subdirs are
41 + in svn. Theese are likely to be needed.
42 +3) Change everythign you want in the Makefile and the other files. Interesting
43 + are the directory where you mirror gentoo/snapshots. I implemented
44 it this
45 + way because then make can apply its checks. (Is -latest already the latest
46 + snapshot? If not, just copy it there.)
47 +4) Type make. If you have problems, read the source.
48 +
49 +Some more information:
50 +======================
51 +
52 +_date suffixes:
53 +---------------
54 +
55 +For each chost there exists a drectory with _date as a suffix and one without.
56 +I used the one without do do fast builds with a -latest portage
57 snapshot from
58 +the mirrors. If that worked, I checked the date of the -latest
59 snapshot and
60 +rebuild the stage in the _date dir with that exact snapshot, not using any
61 +package cache or thing like that.
62 +
63 +tinderbox/stage4/livecd:
64 +------------------------
65 +
66 +I added rundimentary tinderbox support. The packages mentioned there
67 are built
68 +but not copied to the workdir, like stages1-3. I did not use it that
69 much. I
70 +never had a build configuration that worked, since some packages
71 depended on a
72 +kernel and I got problems there. I did not investigate them too much,
73 so if
74 +anyone wants the feature, it should be easy to do. I got livecdstage1
75 to build, but got problems with livecdstage2 due to kernel stuff. This
76 should also be
77 +easy to resolve for people familiar with building livecds with catalyst.
78 +
79 +
80 --
81 gnap-dev@l.g.o mailing list