From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Advertisement bar
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 06:14:05
1 Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Curtis Napier wrote:
5 >>That is technically possible to make the ad div disappear with a button
6 >>click. It would require javascript though and I really really really
7 >>don't want to put any javascript in the site.
10 > Yeah, i hear ya there..
13 >>I played around with putting the ads column into the overall content div
14 >>and floating it to the right. This would make the text wrap under the
15 >>ads but it caused tons of other bugs to creep in with other divs inside
16 >>the content div (like the warnings and code listings) and required
17 >>workarounds that would make it more complicated than it needs to be.
18 >>Especially considering the background banners on the content and ads
19 >>column have to line up perfectly.
20 >>
21 >>If all browsers rendered css the same it would be really easy to do.
22 >>*cough*IE*cough*
23 >>
24 >>Is having the dead space that big of a deal? I *could* work on it and
25 >>see if I can come up with something better but it would require a lot of
26 >>time so I would like to push this off to a future update if possible.
29 > Not a huge deal. You already took out the left pane (which helps A
30 > LOT!), but would be nice if we could get it totally clean. I wondered if
31 > wrapping the text around it would cause problems. Its not a show stopper
32 > for me, but I was curious of the issues surrounding it.
33 >
34 > *IF* we decided to add the javascript for that, how much of a PITA will
35 > that create? Is that something that will cause more issues down the
36 > road? Or mainly a need to stay away from it because of accessibility
37 > issues, etc?
38 >
39 > I'm curious what other folks think about this. I want us to promote our
40 > sponsors, but I'd also like to have a clean page that renders fully from
41 > left to right. (just me though)
44 Making the text wrap under the ads wouldn't be *that* big of a deal
45 actually. It would just take me some time to set it up and then test
46 test test on all the various browsers. I could make it work within a few
47 hours if you really wanted me too but only if you *really* wanted me too.
48
49 Making the div completely disappear would also not be that big of a
50 deal, other than the javascript thing of course.
51
52 By the way, if you view any page as printable either by clicking the
53 print icon on doc pages or simply by appending ?style=printable to any
54 page you get no ads at all. The entire site can be browsed this way. You
55 lose the menus though. The version of the handbook that is distributed
56 on liveCD's uses the text version. Not that this is an answer to your
57 question, just saying.
60 www-redesign@g.o mailing list