From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: [www-redesign] search and logo
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 04:57:37
1 I implemented the search today. The search box is back on the right hand
2 side, it uses google.com to search all *.gentoo.org domains. This
3 includes the forums, planet, documentation and dev space among others.
4 The donate button was moved back to the ads column because of this.
5
6 There are a few other minor changes as well. Link colors have been made
7 more consistant: purple on white for content areas and white on purple
8 in the menu bar. All links turn green on :hover. These color
9 combinations pass the color-blind test, look really good and are
10 consistant. All links except the grey menu bar are now underlined to be
11 in-line with accessibility standards (the grey bar is an exception made
12 for aesthetic reasons).
13
14 The content area and ads column still need to be fixed. Currently they
15 are in a table (I was testing it out in attempt to not use an absolute
16 position css tag and it didn't do very well) and I need to put it back
17 into divs.
18
19 I'm trying to maximize the space in the purple boxes on the front page
20 (this only appears on the front page). Those boxes are supposed to be
21 used as advertisements promoting Gentoo. I just redid "Interact" and I
22 still need some ideas for "Manage" and "Optimize". I want at least two
23 links in all four of those boxes. They should convey a feeling of
24 empowerment and community. Suggestions?
25
26 The top level menu (main, planet, forums, etc...) had an issue. The
27 green arrow designates which site you are on. If you are on
28 planet.gentoo.org then PLANET would be first in line with the green
29 arrow. I spaced the first word out more to make it more obvious. The
30 link colors were changed to white with green hover to be consistant with
31 the site-wide color scheme and also to pass the color blind test.
32
33 print icon was moved to the right and an email to the docs-team icon added.
34
35 There were a bunch of small details that were ironed out so the entire
36 site is really looking very polished and professional and it's really
37 coming together now. I've gotten lots of great feedback from the
38 community that really helped, thanks everybody.
39
40 One bit of feedback is still lingering. The new logo is being questioned
41 and many people have voiced a desire to put it to a vote. Aaron Shi has
42 agreed to make an alternate version and the project leads have consented
43 to the Gentoo Developers voting in the normal fashion on which one will
44 become the new Official Gentoo Logo.
45
46 Aaron is presently in school taking his exams so don't expect to see the
47 alternate version until after the $HOLIDAY. Once Aaron submits it I'll
48 post it to the list and give everyone a chance to review it before we vote.
49
50 I feel that this is 99% done. There are a few issues that neysx brought
51 up that I need to address, I'll do that tomorrow. Once that's done I'm
52 going to push for a release of this current layout ASAP. The logo can
53 easily be changed if the current "infinity" logo is outvoted.
54
55 ramereth, swift and klieber: what do you think? I would like to have
56 this site up and running before christmas, is that feasible?
57
58 neysx, do you see any technical bugs that need to be fixed (other than
59 the stuff you linked to in your previous mail)?
60 --
61 www-redesign@g.o mailing list