From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:06:42
1 I got together with the project leads and we finalized some decisions.
2 The site, http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org, is now in it's final state
3 except for the search and donate.
4
5 The search is going to be implemented using google as a back end as an
6 interim solution. The only free version of google site search that is
7 available to us is the normal one that anyone can use. We are not the
8 right kind of non-profit to get the free, customized search. This means
9 you will be taken out of the gentoo site to a google controlled page.
10
11 The good news is that it will allow us to do a very comprehensive
13 gentoo web sites. You will be able to search documents by language,
14 forums, developer pages, etc.... We will also hook into the bugs and
15 forum native search engines to further enhance the search. You will be
16 able to specify google or forum search as the search backend when you
17 search the forum.
18
19 We will be investigating alternative search engines that we can host
20 ouselves so that we have maximum control. I won't be able to get around
21 to that until after the other gentoo sites are migrated to the new
22 design so google will be the default for a while. If anyone wants to do
23 some preliminary research and start submitting suggestions I would
24 appreciate it.
25
26 I'll be setting up the search over the next week or two so stay tuned.
27
28 As you can see Aarons reference site has been implemented pretty
29 accurately now. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
30
31 I've had individual reports from a few key people and can safely say
32 that it renders correctly in all browsers with the exception of IE5 on
33 mac. I decided that it was not used enough to justify the hack it would
34 require to support it and there are alternative browsers for the mac all
35 the way back to OS8.X that don't have outstanding security issues as IE5
36 does. I hope the few users of this browser will understand.
37
38 There was a small bug in konqueror that I finally got sorted out, thanks
39 to dangle for being my tester.
40
41 I'll report back when the search is ready for wide testing.
42
43 Thanks everybody
44 --
45 www-redesign@g.o mailing list