From: Blackace <blackace@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:26:34
1 On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 08:51 +0100, Energytwister wrote:
2 > > If you have access to a Macintosh, Windows, *BSD or any other OS or
3 > > Browser please test the site and include your OS and the browser
4 > > version in your feedback. I haven't received feedback from
5 > > Konqueror or Safari so feedback from those browsers would be much
6 > > appreciated.
7 >
8 > I am using a Powerbook G4 running with Mac OS X 10.4.3 (Tiger) and
9 > Safari Version 2.0.2 (416.12).
10 >
11 > The site looks just fine with the exception of a lot of unnecessary
12 > whitespace between the header and
13 > the cow logo where it reads "We produce Gentoo...".
14 >
15 > A similar amount of "seems-out-of-place"-whitespace is visible
16 > between the "Older News"-link and the
17 > three icons for "Documentation" "Resources' "Community".
18
19 I also see this whitespace in Linux with Galeon, and I agree it seems
20 out of place and could use to be tightened up.
21
22 Another issue is the line spacing on the last line of authors in docs is
23 greater than the rest.
24
25 I'm a little unsure that the links in the upper right should be all
26 caps...looks kinda odd.
27
28 If the "Make a Donation" graphic is going to be in the donate div then
29 having "Donation" bold is redundant and misleading as it isn't
30 clickable, and the Make a Donation graphic needs it's transparency
31 worked on.
32
33 Whitespace is needed between "> What's New" and the line before the news
34 items...color separation would look better than the horizontal lines
35 that currently separate news items.
36
37 On some pages, http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml for
38 one...the ads on the right become spaced out from the right hand side
39 instead of being consistently aligned.
40
41 On http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml the subsections could
42 use some whitespace between them, ie. between the "Installation Guides"
43 section of links and the "Other Installation Related Documentation" list
44 of links.
45
46 http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml scrolls horizontally
47 probably due to the fig's overflow.
48
49 Increasing the line spacing could be good, since lists of links
50 currently look very crowded due to their underlines being 1 pixel from
51 the top of the next line's text.
52
53 On docs, the "Printer-friendly" graphic needs to be vertically centered
54 on the text to it's left, or alternately could be right aligned so it is
55 in the top-right of the page.
56
57 On pages where the ads are longer than the content to their left, the
58 content is vertically aligned middle, it needs to be vertically aligned
59 top.
60
61 On docs, tables have a 2px border, which seems too heavy/thick...a 1px
62 white border could look good, just denoting separation of the cells.
63
64 It would be good if there was a way to restrict the width of notes/warns
65 since on
66 http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=3 they cause the page to scroll horizontally, when they could instead just wrap their contents...only code listings should be kept from being wrapped.
67
68 The lines that flank the nav elements in the handbook seem too heavy as
69 well...maybe 1px solid or dotted would look better? or maybe no lines?
70
71 And I'm not sure what's happening with dates in the GWN index, but they
72 have extra newlines in them causing them to look rather odd.
73
74 And I take it the glsa index stuff
75 (http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/security/en/index.xml) hasn't been
76 implemented for the wwwredesign site?
77
78 That's it for now, Curtis, I hope you don't see my comments as critical
79 or demanding, they are just suggestions/my personal opinions...I'm very
80 impressed with how much work you've done, and I'd like to thank you for
81 keeping the redesign alive, if it weren't for you it would've died and
82 been forgotten :)
85 Blackace
86 Gentoo Linux
87 Infrastructure Developer