From: Michael Curtis Napier <curtis119@×××××.com>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: [www-redesign] banter
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 18:00:53
1 Swift posted his roadmap to:
2
3 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/www-redesign/roadmap.html
4
5 I took the liberty of converting it to guidexml and posting it on the
6 test site:
7
8 http://curtis119.no-ip.org/proj/en/infrastructure/www-redesign/index.xml
9
10 I've added some updates to the roadmap and some news. This is not an
11 official project page nor does it replace swifts' roadmap. This is my
12 personal project page showing news/status of what I am doing.
13
14 ------------------
15
16 I have a basic layout for every page except bugs.gentoo.org and More
17 News. I should have them done by tonight. After that I will start
18 working on the sitemap and should have something up by tomorrow or
19 possibly tonight. Once the sitemap is done I can start working on the
20 menu system. The refinement of the layout is priority 1 after that.
21
22 I will need input for the sitemap. swift already has a basic outline
23 here:
24
25 http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/www-redesign/structure.txt
26
27 It needs to be updated and completed. I will use this as a base and
28 build a complete site map. It is my understanding that the gentoo store
29 is now closed. Will we have a new store sponsored by the Foundation?
30 Until I hear otherwise I am going on the assumption that the store is
31 no more and removing it from the site map.
32
33 -------------------
34
35 I have a plan for the guide.xsl that includes breaking it down into
36 smaller templates (like project.xsl is now) so it will be easier to
37 update/maintain. I also want to redo the menu template in guide.xsl so
38 that it creates the menu dynamically. Changing according to which page
39 you are on. For example:
40
41 the gentoo logo in the upper left corner should always point back to
42 the main index (or the site map?). Even on the Forum (currently links
43 to the forum index). This is normal web design to have a main link on
44 EVERY page that points back to the index in the same prominent place.
45 The menu bar would then show the links relevant to the page with the
46 first link being the sub-page (like docs) and then the other menu
47 entries would be specific to the category. It should be the site map in
48 menu form. I have 2 ideas on implementing this:
49
50 *make a new xsl template that reads a new xml markup tag <menu></menu>
51 from the actual xml itself. This would be hard because every page would
52 need to be updated. Any page that wasn't would use a generic menu. This
53 would be good for dev space pages. Each dev can create a custom menu
54 for their page.
55
56 *create a dynamic menu in guide.xsl and use the existing ID of the page
57 in a series of xsl IF statements to generate the menu. This is the
58 easiest way IMHO but I am not an xsl guru by any means. Dev space pages
59 can have a generic menu relevant to every dev with custom links on the
60 index.xml page.
61
62 It will be a few days/a week before I can start working on this. Input
63 from relevant devs would be appreciated.
64
65 ------------------
66
67 If anyone has comments/questions/suggestions or just wants to pitch in
68 and help please feel free to post to this list. I posted some
69 screenshots in the redesign forum thread for public viewing:
70
71 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2421342.html#2421342
72
73 My test site is located at:
74
75 http://curtis119.no-ip.org
76
77 I will be doing extensive changes/testing over the next few weeks so if
78 it is down just wait an hour or so and it should be back up.
79
80 Please don't give out the curtis119.no-ip.org URL to anyone outside the
81 mailing list. This site runs on my home dsl line and I have limited
82 bandwidth.
83
84 Thanks everyone.
85
86 ps. the project was mentioned in this weeks GWN. Thanks Pylon!:
87
88 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20050523-newsletter.xml
89 --
90 www-redesign@g.o mailing list