From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:33:16
1 On Monday 21 November 2005 12:27, Aaron Shi wrote:
2 > I've been stressing these points since day one, finally someone gets
3 > it! If we don't enhance the underlying design of the site (i.e. the
4 > "substance") in order to remedy some of the problems with the old
5 > design, the redesign would more appropriately be called a "face lift."
6 > I don't know what actually goes under the hood with all the xml etc.,
7 > but to me, as it appears, it's simply a face lift. The functionality
8 > hasn't changed one bit. Navigation is still a nightmare. On a site as
9 > complex as Gentoo's, users -- especially those new to Gentoo (who also
10 > happens to be those who are critical to the growth of Gentoo) -- will
11 > be easily lost. They will have a hard time finding the information
12 > which they seek to make their decision to use Gentoo or to make their
13 > Gentoo experience successful.
14
15 I agree with you too. Especially the homepage is too full. Please look at
16 what could be moved, done different etc. Of course the information should
17 still be reachable, but how it is reachable should be improved.
18 > Christopher, we've gone a ways since the preview images. A newer proof
19 > of concept / early prototype is here: http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/
20
21 Looks great. Unfortunately I don't have the time, but else I'd help to get
22 the current wwwredesign.g.o more into that direction. Including
23 redesigning the contents and xml structure.
24
25 > Quirks:
26 > - The front page news area seems really out of character (the lines,
27 > the styles, the indentation, etc. seems "off")
28 > - General spacing is messed up, i.e. lots of white space where there
29 > shouldn't be
30
31 100% agreed
32
33 > - Table borders don't quite fit into the theme
34
35 Yeah, http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org/proj/en looks awfull
36
37 > - I thought the 3 jump pads are only supposed to appear on the front
38 > page?
39
40 Probably looks better, especially when the news area doesn't push it
41 offscreen.
42
43 > I don't think the bolding or whiter shade is necessary for my credits
44 > at the bottom. Thanks for thought though, but such credits should be
45 > as unobtrusive as possible so that users can better focus their
46 > attention elsewhere on what's important. It's probably better left as
47 > before -- unbold, dark shade of purple (see bottom of
48 > http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepage.html).
49
50 Indeed ;-)
51
52 Paul
53
54 ps. On your page, I find the XHTML and CSS links to the verifiers
55 confusing. Better just leave them out.
58 Paul de Vrieze
59 Gentoo Developer
60 Mail: pauldv@g.o
61 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net