From: Michael Curtis Napier <curtis119@×××××.com>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [www-redesign] Too much?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:53:44
1 Aaaron thanks, what you have is a great place for me to start. I can
2 work on this steadily until May when you get the time. Hopefully I can
3 have a good first or second working draft of the entire site up and
4 running by then for us to tweak into shape.
5
6 Sorry my site was down. I restarted that box (kernel upgrade) and
7 forgot to restart gorg. I have it in my local.start now. If anyone gets
8 an error please let me know, thanks.
9
10 curtis119.no-ip.org
13 --- Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com> wrote:
14 > Hi all,
15 >
16 > Did anyone take a look at my solutions/comments in my previous email
17 > regarding how to accomodate people who use giant fonts when viewing
18 > the
19 > site? I tried to fit some design time into my schedule, but by the
20 > looks
21 > of it I will not be able to work on it until May. In the meantime,
22 > I've
23 > attached a rar containing all the latest files. It contains the
24 > normal
25 > version and the experimental big-fonts-okay version (using css files
26 > in the
27 > folder /css2). Please if someone want to take a stab at making it
28 > work
29 > better with giant fonts go ahead by all means.
30 >
31 > The index page currently has no print css.
32 > The generic page is a good base for all the other pages still needed
33 > (http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/www-redesign/roadmap.xml), the print
34 > css can
35 > be used for all the printable pages.
36 >
37 > To see what the print css looks like, open up generic.html and hit
38 > print
39 > preview in your browser (I still have not received response as to how
40 > it
41 > looks in various other browsers compared to our reference browsers of
42 > Firefox 1/IE 6).
43 >
44 > If someone wants to start on the other pages, that wouldn't hurt.
45 > Most of
46 > the formatting is probably already present in generic.html, just copy
47 > what
48 > you need for each page from there. Some things that are definitely
49 > missing
50 > are the formatting for command/code samples, etc. You should be
51 > working
52 > with the sitelevel css file: gentoo.css; you should _not_ need to
53 > touch
54 > anything in global.css. It's probably best to leave the bigfontok
55 > (css2
56 > folder) stuff alone for now until we get some better bearings on the
57 > issue.
60 > Michael: I tried viewing your pages several times but only got a page
61 > cannot
62 > be found. I know your site worked before, but not lately. =(
63 >
64 > An update on the image permissions, I've obtained written permission
65 > for the
66 > following image.
67 >
68 > > The following image has no usage restrictions provided that the
69 > author is
70 > > contacted (which I just did, waiting for reply).
71 > > http://sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=176068
72 >
73 > Still waiting on the last two.
74 >
75 > > There are two images unaccounted for, the background for Interact
76 > and the
77 > image for Resources.
78 > > I can no longer find them in the database (might've got lost when
79 > their
80 > database pruned etc.).
81 > > People with similar problems have posted on their forums that one
82 > should
83 > seek the admin's help.
84 > > I have contacted the admin to track down the original authors. If
85 > the
86 > admin cannot locate the
87 > > original authors/permission info, I will find suitable
88 > replacements.
89 >
90 > The site's been down for past couple of weeks, I think the admin is
91 > probably
92 > too busy fixing the site rather than looking into my inquiries.
93 >
94 > -Aaron
97 > > -----Original Message-----
98 > > From: Sven Vermeulen [mailto:swift@g.o]
99 > > Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:37 AM
100 > > To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
101 > > Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Too much?
102 > >
103 > > Michael Curtis Napier wrote:
104 > > > I'm in the process of making a beta of guide.xsl and
105 > > handbook.xsl. I
106 > > > haven't touched handbook.xml yet but guide.xml is coming
107 > > along nicely.
108 > > > Aaron, we really need you to work on the layout. I'm not really a
109 >
110 > > > designer so all I can do is copy your ideas. Please look at how
111 > the
112 > > > pages are being rendered and give me some input. A tarball
113 > > of all the
114 > > > cleaned up pages and css you have would really help. These
115 > > pages are
116 > > > being served from my laptop using xeviers' gorg over dsl so
117 > > be patient.
118 > >
119 > > Mind you that the XSL will probably need to be rethought of.
120 > > We want to make it less resource-hungry (less document()
121 > > calls) and more modular.
122 > >
123 > > Wkr,
124 > > Sven Vermeulen
127 > > --
128 > > ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.
129 > > (oo) Sven Vermeulen
130 > > (__) http://www.gentoo.org Documentation & PR
131 > > --
132 > > www-redesign@g.o mailing list