From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Advertisement bar
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 05:47:00
1 Curtis Napier wrote:
2
3 > That is technically possible to make the ad div disappear with a button
4 > click. It would require javascript though and I really really really
5 > don't want to put any javascript in the site.
6
7 Yeah, i hear ya there..
8
9 > I played around with putting the ads column into the overall content div
10 > and floating it to the right. This would make the text wrap under the
11 > ads but it caused tons of other bugs to creep in with other divs inside
12 > the content div (like the warnings and code listings) and required
13 > workarounds that would make it more complicated than it needs to be.
14 > Especially considering the background banners on the content and ads
15 > column have to line up perfectly.
16 >
17 > If all browsers rendered css the same it would be really easy to do.
18 > *cough*IE*cough*
19 >
20 > Is having the dead space that big of a deal? I *could* work on it and
21 > see if I can come up with something better but it would require a lot of
22 > time so I would like to push this off to a future update if possible.
23
24 Not a huge deal. You already took out the left pane (which helps A
25 LOT!), but would be nice if we could get it totally clean. I wondered if
26 wrapping the text around it would cause problems. Its not a show stopper
27 for me, but I was curious of the issues surrounding it.
28
29 *IF* we decided to add the javascript for that, how much of a PITA will
30 that create? Is that something that will cause more issues down the
31 road? Or mainly a need to stay away from it because of accessibility
32 issues, etc?
33
34 I'm curious what other folks think about this. I want us to promote our
35 sponsors, but I'd also like to have a clean page that renders fully from
36 left to right. (just me though)
37
38 > The current website has the same issue of dead space under the ads by
39 > the way. :/
40
41 Yup.
42
43 Cheers-
46 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
47 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
48
49 ---
50 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
51 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
52
53 ramereth/irc.freenode.net