From: Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [www-redesign] Current status
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:18:04
1 I'm using multiple style sheets to take advantage of the cascading
2 properties of CSS. There won't be a separate style sheet for each section,
3 that would defeat the purpose of CSS. ;) What I have in mind is a global
4 css for all Gentoo sites (if I recall, we were going to implement this
5 design on bugs/packages.gentoo.org etc.). Then a sitewide style sheet for
6 each gentoo site (i.e. one for www.gentoo.org, one for bugs.gentoo.org, one
7 for forums.gentoo.org...) if necessary. So as far as screen CSS goes, each
8 page would have two that completes the presentation: the global one for all
9 sites and the sitewide one for the current site. The basic look and feel
10 would be consistent throughout all the sites, but I'm sure each site would
11 have individual needs that would be better addressed via a sitewide style
12 sheet. Right now there are a few lines of CSS links within a page, but
13 eventually (if we don't care about old browsers like NS 4.x) we can use a
14 "loader" style sheet and use @import to load all the CSS into one CSS file,
15 and just have that one file on a page.
16
17 I contemplated about having one giant style sheet, but with more than one
18 site using the CSS we would have, for each site, a CSS file with partly
19 identical CSS and partly specific CSS...all in one file. What we'd have is
20 multiple such files for all the sites. Eventually when small adjustments
21 are made here and there (i.e. site level adjustments), the CSS files which
22 are supposed to do exactly the same thing one some levels and specific
23 things on other levels will become inconsistent. Also, if we have sitewide
24 requirements that need to override global rules, then with the 2 tiered CSS
25 it would be clear where to find the rules (global or sitewide file), but
26 with the all-in-one scenario the above confusion can happen easily.
27
28 Picture this: you need to make an override to a global rule. Since each
29 site has its all-in-one CSS, rather than making an overriding rule below the
30 global rule, you could alternatively just edit the global rule in the file
31 and it would achieve the ends. Then suppose another person comes along and
32 is making a new network site, he'll take the all-in-one CSS from the first
33 site, copy the global rules for the new style sheet and then adjust the
34 specifics for the new site. However, the supposedly global rule was
35 modified by a previous person, so what he just copied over will be
36 inconsistent with the actual global rules. If this happens elsewhere, what
37 we'd end up with a bunch of inconsistencies. I'm sure mechanisms (i.e. the
38 CVS) are in places to prevent this from happening, but with the 2 tiered
39 system it would effectively make it impossible for this kind of problem to
40 occur.
41
42 Or, if we have all the the CSS for all the sites in one file, then we would
43 be wasting a lot of bandwidth transmitting unnecessary information.
46 To recap the 2 tiered system idea:
47
48 - "Global" controls the basics of all sites within the Gentoo network (i.e.
49 the layout and basic look and feel of www/bugs/forums/packages/etc., to
50 maintain a basic appearance consistency)
51
52 - "Sitewide" controls all pages within a specific site (I'm sure the site
53 level CSS requirements will be quite different for bugs compared to forums,
54 so each of these sites will have a sitewide file that governs all the pages
55 within its domain)
58 The cascading I have in mind goes like this:
59
60 - Global screen (tier 1)
61 - Sitewide screen (tier 2)
62
63 - Global print (tier 1)
64 - Sitewide print (tier 2)
65
66 - Font size variation rules for article pages (tier 3, though I wouldn't
67 really consider this a tier)
70 Using a loader:
71
72 - Loader
73
74 - Font size variation rules for article pages
75
76 Insider the loader:
77
78 We @import the all the necessary global and sitewide screen/print files.
81 Hopefully this clear things up a bit. I wish I could talk in person and
82 draw pictures and things. ;D
83
84 -Aaron
88 > -----Original Message-----
89 > From: Michael Curtis Napier [mailto:curtis119@×××××.com]
90 > Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 7:36 PM
91 > To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
92 > Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Current status
93 >
94 > I'm working on the xsl at the moment. I'm trying to recycle
95 > the existing guide.xsl but much of it will have to be changed
96 > to fit the new layout. I have the main index.xml working if
97 > anyone wants to look at it. The style sheet needs to be
98 > tweeked a little though.
99 >
100 > http://curtis119.no-ip.org
101 >
102 > Some of the other pages work but the formatting isn't fixed.
103 > About, Get Gentoo and Social Contract(I added this to the
104 > jumppad). I'll be working on this all week and I'll give an
105 > update as it comes together.
108 > I have the handbook working a little but it's on a different
109 > virtual server. I'll try to integrate it into the main one by
110 > the end of this week so everyone can look (It's not very nice
111 > to look at at the moment).
114 > Aaron, are you planning on making this cascading stylesheet
115 > with multi .css files permanent? I think it would be easier
116 > if we consolidate it into one style sheet. Making a seperate
117 > style sheet for things like "about" and "socialcontract" and
118 > "docs" and "news" would make things to complicated when we
119 > could have one single css file that controlled every page. A
120 > seperate one for "print" may be OK though. Thoughts anyone?
123 > --- Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> wrote:
124 >
125 > > Okay, it's quite difficult to keep this one alive, but I'll
126 > try anyhow
127 > > :)
128 > >
129 > > Aaron, you told me that the design put online at
130 > > http://www.siphos.be/~svermeulen/gentoo/index.html was
131 > quite different
132 > > from what you had in design. Is this still the case? If so,
133 > I'll need
134 > > the "better" design to be put in CVS.
135 > >
136 > > We hardly have anything except this front-page design and
137 > that's not
138 > > much, although many can be distilled from it.
139 > >
140 > > As you might notice at
141 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/www-redesign/roadmap.xml#layout we (I)
142 > > still need some designs for other reference pages. Really, this is
143 > > designing. I'm not good at it. I'd be *very* grateful if
144 > people take a
145 > > stab at it.
146 > >
147 > > My proposal for the structure used by the Gentoo website is
148 > online at
149 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/www-redesign/structure.txt,
150 > comments are
151 > > appreciated. You might want to take a look at other
152 > distributions and
153 > > community-driven projects to get an idea on how you'd like
154 > the website
155 > > to evolve.
156 > >
157 > > We might also want to start looking at our XML DTDs, see if we can
158 > > improve the current XML formats, explain why certain tags are
159 > > obsoleted and what tags aren't, etc. This is the first step to the
160 > > XSLT.
161 > >
162 > > But mainly, we need those reference pages. Anyone with some
163 > knowledge
164 > > of layouting pages - go for it!
165 > >
166 > > Wkr,
167 > > Sven Vermeulen
168 > >
169 > > --
170 > > Documentation & PR project leader
171 > >
172 > > The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>
175 > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature
178 > --
179 > www-redesign@g.o mailing list
185 www-redesign@g.o mailing list