From: Blackace <blackace@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:27:06
1 On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 10:39 +0200, Christopher Bergström wrote:
2 > Usability and navigation needs work. Think in terms of end user..
3 > Someone may not land on the home page.. At which point he will have to
4 > navigate to where he/she needs to get as quickly as possible. With
5 > click-through patterns (If you can get the data) see where people are
6 > going and make that most accessible.. Navigation should be fairly site
7 > standard and potentially even show a hierarchy of where they are in the
8 > site. (ie Home > Solutions > etc)
9 > Do we have this data? Is now the time to do a structure change to allow
10 > for faster digging?
11
12 Now is probably not the time, no, structure changes will likely take
13 place after this first part of the redesign is implemented.
14
15 > (Not exactly related to the redesign, but is the site content index or
16 > in a database at all.. How could we maybe allow for a site/doc search?)
17
18 Also planned.
19
20 > I've looked at the preview images for the winning contest.. Is it too
21 > late to consider moving the three navigation boxes to the left hand side
22 > and or keeping some of the left hand navigation there..
23
24 In my opinion, adding nav to the left side would take too much
25 horizontal real estate.
26
27 > Possible to get the CSS page under 8k?
28
29 Why? the css should be cached by the useragent and therefore will only
30 be transferred once.
31
32 > btw.. Is there any particular reason the current site pages end in .xml,
33 > but are actually just html docs? (Do we plan to use xhtml at least in
34 > the future?)
35
36 Yes, the underlying data is xml...the .xml files are being transformed
37 to html/xhtml server-side using xslt.
40 Blackace
41 Gentoo Linux
42 Infrastructure Developer