From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: [www-redesign] xhtml-1.1
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:06:54
1 While I'm waiting for Aaron to create a new logo I am taking the time to
2 upgrade the site to xhtml-1.1. I put this in a blog post yesterday and
3 already have received numerous reports that I am doing it incorrectly.
4
5 I want everyone on the list to feel confident in this change:
8 The specification for xhtml-1.1 says that the server *should* send
9 application/xml+xhtml in the HTTP header but that it *can* send
10 text/html in order to remain backwards compatible with older user
11 agents, IE for example. As long as the doctype is set correctly (and it
12 is) it is still valid xhtml-1.1.
13
14 In fact, if you use the validator, http://validator.w3.org, and let it
15 auto detect the doctype it correctly detects xhtml-1.1 and validates the
16 page using that specification (ignore the errors, I'm still workin' on
17 it). Browsers will also detect it, including IE, and use the correct
18 specs to render the page. They also render the page in Standards
19 Compliance Mode, including IE.
20
21 Trust me on this, I researched it *extensively* before making the jump
22 to xhtml-1.1, I didn't just blindly decide to change. I read the entire
23 xhmtl-1.1 specification. I didn't just skim it or skip any parts I read
24 the entire thing. I read the XSLT-1.0 specification to make sure I was
25 doing it right in the xsl. I also read TONS of threads from all over the
26 world discussing this, including from IE support sites, apache, mozilla,
27 w3c (extensively) and web designer sites.
28
29 MS officially suggests using text/html in the HTTP header when serving
30 xhtml-1.1 documents to IE. Mozilla, Opera, Firefox, Konqueror can all
31 correctly use application/xml+xhtml and officially suggest that is what
32 you send in the HTTP header but **ALL** of them are also backwards
33 compatible with text/html.
34
35 None of the text browsers, as far as I know, can use
36 application/xml+xhtml yet but, just like IE, they can correctly render
37 an xhtml-1.1 page validly and in Standards Compliance Mode with
38 text/html in the HTTP header.
39
40 When viewing pages that have been saved locally **all** browsers can
41 correctly load and render the pages if you change the extension from
42 .xml to .html, just like pages that end in .php for example.
43
44 So, to sum it up:
45
46 The site is validly serving XHTML-1.1 (except for the errors I haven't
47 fixed yet) that is recognized by all browsers and correctly rendered.
48 The server doesn't have to send application/xml+xhtml in the HTTP header
49 in order for it to be valid, it can send text/html too.
50 --
51 www-redesign@g.o mailing list