From: Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [www-redesign] Current status
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 05:03:54
1 > > + ToDo: code html/css in a way that works.
2 > > This is how http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/ looks at the moment:
3 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/images/new.png
4 > > FYI, the current design:
5 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~neysx/images/cur.png (1)
6 >
7 > I know of this problem, but I wasn't expecting anyone to
8 > browse with such large fonts!
9 >
10 > The problem occurs under 2 conditions:
11 > 1) a browser using the Gecko engine
12 > 3) user-defined font size increase overrides browser default
13 > by 2 levels or more
14 >
15 > These 2 conditions have to occur simultaneously to cause the
16 > problem.
17 >
18 > For a font size increase of exactly 2 levels, the 3rd
19 > condition is that the browser width has to be less than 965px.
20 >
21 > This is the reason why I implemented a font size switcher on
22 > the article pages:
23 > http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/generic.html
24 >
25 > Users can increase the article text size, without using a
26 > crude browser based rule that leaves everything blown out of
27 > proportion.
28 >
29 > However...
30 >
31 > There are 3 possible solutions to this:
32 >
33 > 1) Decrease the number of nav items (i.e. to 4 or 5) so when
34 > window is narrow they won't wrap over.
35 > 2) Specify a very small default size so when people increase
36 > the font size it won't grow too big...however a majority of
37 > people leave the browser font size on default and to them it
38 > would appear small if we specify a small size.
39 > 3) Redo the layout. The page is currently horizontally
40 > fluid, I'm sure we can make things like the nav bar and
41 > header vertically fluid as well.
42 >
43 > The first 2 solutions are not too feasible. Solution 3 will
44 > be quite complicated which is why I didn't do it in the first
45 > place. Since it has come to my attention that this issue
46 > might be affecting more people than I previously estimated, I
47 > better get started on it right away.
48
49 As I soon discovered, solution 3 isn't quite feasible either. However, I
50 managed to make some adjustments and although it doesn't look as good as the
51 normal index (slight changes, can you spot them?), bigger user fonts will
52 work. The layout is generally ok up to the font that Xavier had in his
53 screenshot (2 levels higher than browser default). I don't see much point
54 in supporting 3 or higher levels above browser default font size. At those
55 sizes they should just switch to the bare bones text version and blow it up
56 all they want. Most web pages don't even look like web pages at that point.
57
58 Big font safe layout:
59 http://aaronshi.com/gentoo/fonttest.html
60
61 If anyone has better ideas/methods regarding large fonts and layout, please
62 give it a shot. I think the best idea is to not tweak the design for
63 browser-specific user defined font size increases, but rather supply the
64 font sizes via alternate style sheets and cookies (like how the font size
65 changer on http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/generic.html works). This way, we
66 have control over what fonts are increased, etc.
69 > Glad to hear someone is working on the xsl. Once you have
70 > something and Aaron has some CSS for me to use, i'll start
71 > working on the scripts.gentoo.org design. All I can say is
72 > that it's going to be a fun job getting the layout looking right...
73
74 No kidding, after I implemented the above adjustments in Firefox it took
75 another hour to get it working in IE. Then another 30 mins for Opera...the
76 only way to make the nav work in Opera after the adjustments was to float
77 everything to the right. Weird as hell.
78
79 I think we should thoroughly test everything out in different browsers
80 before we use the CSS as a base to start on other things. Some work arounds
81 will require a lot of work and we certainly don't want to be knee deep when
82 we realize it.
85 > One problem I've noticed with this design is that we loose
86 > our quick links in the footer like on forums.g.o, could we
87 > fit them in there somewhere?
88
89 Hence the 2 tiered CSS system. Forums.gentoo.org can have that feature
90 implemented in its own sitewide CSS in addition to the basic look and feel
91 provided by the global CSS. ;)
92
93 Regards,
94 Aaron