From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Cc: Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com>, www-redesign@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] Re: Status on Gentoo redesign
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:33:18
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:08:55AM +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
[...]

I've put a snapshot of the current CVS (with all stuff mangled together
*cough*) which is available at
http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/redesign-www.tar.gz.

So far for that part, now on to some suggestions if I may (I'm no wizz on
layout - i've tried making a proof-of-concept but it scared my cat away so I
won't show it here).

- Can we have the "warning"/"important"/"note" stuff with a graphical icon
  and a nice rounded border? But without having it take up too much space of
  course.
- Perhaps the td's of a table should have a wider padding, the text
  currently touches the borders (or at least it seems like this)
- Is it a good idea to have the contents indented wrt the titles? Some
  people find it less readable - I don't have a personal opinion though,
  just passing along
- The titles of the news items currently have a colored background. If you
  have two news items with different length, it disturbs the vision a bit.
  Can we use a fixed width for this coloring or don't do any color at all?

Further, we should take a look at how we would display a plethora on
authors/editors (such as on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml)

Aaron's design (see http://www.siphos.be/~svermeulen/gentoo/generic.html)
looks good for one, perhaps a few, authors, but might need some tweaking for
a larger amount. We can do some magic on this, such as having
    Authors: Sven Vermeulen, Daniel Robbins, Chris Houser
    Editors: Eric Stockbridge, Rajiv Manglani, Jungmin Seo, Stoyan Zhekov, ...
but even doing so would generate about 11 categories for the handbook page.

Wkr,
      Sven Vermeulen

--
  Documentation & PR project leader