From: "Christopher Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [www-redesign] status of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:27:10
1 Aaron Shi wrote:
2
3 >First of all, kudos to Curtis and team. This is definitely a step up from
4 >last time I checked. While I don't always agree with what's done, I do very
5 >much appreciate and respect all the effort that's put in.
8 I'd also like to say that this is VERY much appreciated and while I'm
9 void of tact I really don't want to come across as critical.
10 Thanks in advance for the nice work.
11
12 >Here goes the comments... I'm just going to add to the discussion rather
13 >than starting from the beginning.
17 >>Usability and navigation needs work. Think in terms of end user..
18 >>Someone may not land on the home page.. At which point he
19 >>will have to navigate to where he/she needs to get as quickly
20 >>as possible. With click-through patterns (If you can get the
21 >>data) see where people are going and make that most
22 >>accessible.. Navigation should be fairly site standard and
23 >>potentially even show a hierarchy of where they are in the
24 >>site. (ie Home > Solutions > etc) Do we have this data? Is
25 >>now the time to do a structure change to allow for faster digging?
29 >I've been stressing these points since day one, finally someone gets it! If
30 >we don't enhance the underlying design of the site (i.e. the "substance") in
31 >order to remedy some of the problems with the old design, the redesign would
32 >more appropriately be called a "face lift." I don't know what actually goes
33 >under the hood with all the xml etc., but to me, as it appears, it's simply
34 >a face lift. The functionality hasn't changed one bit. Navigation is still
35 >a nightmare. On a site as complex as Gentoo's, users -- especially those
36 >new to Gentoo (who also happens to be those who are critical to the growth
37 >of Gentoo) -- will be easily lost. They will have a hard time finding the
38 >information which they seek to make their decision to use Gentoo or to make
39 >their Gentoo experience successful.
40 >
41 >In hindsight, I realized that the project didn't have (I couldn't find) a
42 >clearly defined strategy (What is it trying to do? To achieve? And why?
43 >What's the ultimate goal?) and corresponding sets of concrete and achievable
44 >objectives that feeds into the strategy to make it work.
45 >
46 >When I started the project, I aimed for 3 things
49 >1) to make a solid
50 >impression on visitors of the site in order to convey the values and
51 >benefits of Gentoo, i.e. in order to gain new users,
52 >
53 This could be accomplished by a multitude of things which add up..
54 (Inside a trademark yet to be established, user experience quotes, and
55 mission statement page which has direct top level links.
56
57 >2) to make the site a
58 >pleasure to browse (for existing and new users), and
59 >
60 We'd have to get feedback about how it's not currently pleasant in order
61 to "fix" this.
62
63 >3) to make information
64 >easy to access.
65 >
66 This is critical...
67
68 >Graphics and eye-candy (if you will) along with
69 >strategically placed (and clearly/easily identified) critical "Gentoo
70 >elements" helps to achieve 1). 2) and 3) relates to usability (how
71 >efficiently and effectively a user can do what they want to do), navigation
72 >(how easily can a user move through the structure of the site, not simply
73 >linearly as non-linear navigation is what makes moving quick), and "flow"
74 >(how intuitive and logical is the structure of the site and the information
75 >presented).
76 >
77 >Now it seems that these goals were too ambitious given our limited
78 >resources. However, we seem to be taking baby steps toward them, which is a
79 >good thing.
83 >>I've looked at the preview images for the winning contest..
84 >>Is it too late to consider moving the three navigation boxes
85 >>to the left hand side and or keeping some of the left hand
86 >>navigation there..
90 >Christopher, we've gone a ways since the preview images. A newer proof of
91 >concept / early prototype is here: http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/
95 I'll stand corrected on one thing.. Seems I should be asking for the
96 navigation on the right.. Not the entire menu, but some? Maybe above the
97 ads section? This also wouldn't take up more horizontal space.
98
99 http://usability.gov/guidelines/
100
101 >>While we are an open source project there are still two very
102 >>desirable actions we want users to do..
103 >>
104 >>1) Download and try the software (Rename mirrors and get
105 >>gentoo to Download and make it very clear where users can
106 >>download from.)
107 >>2) Make a donation (this should also be something more than a
108 >>standard PayPal button, but still discrete and site blended.)
112 >Agree with both objectives in the general sense. The donation objective
113 >never occurred to me, but it's a very neat idea since Gentoo is an NPO and
114 >suffice to say it doesn't sit on a mountain of cash so any extra funding is
115 >probably a positive thing.
118 I should see if I can find my contact for the Mozilla project.. The guys
119 over there are doing a really nice job of having users do their desired
120 actions... (Think front page of NY times..)(Save some typing
121 http://www.mozilla.org/) While I'm not saying to oversell.. I'm saying
122 it is possible to do thing which will help drive click patterns and
123 actions to what we want.
124
125 >Quirks:
126 >- The front page news area seems really out of character (the lines, the
127 >styles, the indentation, etc. seems "off")
130 I think the feel for the home page would entirely change if we could
131 trade those four boxes with one big stylish and clear/concise box saying
132 something along the lines of (Download Gentoo now)
133
134 >- General spacing is messed up, i.e. lots of white space where there
135 >shouldn't be
136 >- Table borders don't quite fit into the theme
137 >- I thought the 3 jump pads are only supposed to appear on the front page?
138 >
139 >I don't think the bolding or whiter shade is necessary for my credits at the
140 >bottom. Thanks for thought though, but such credits should be as
141 >unobtrusive as possible so that users can better focus their attention
142 >elsewhere on what's important. It's probably better left as before --
143 >unbold, dark shade of purple (see bottom of
144 >http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepage.html).
147 <http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepageprint.html>
148 Please leave the background of the search box white and a try for higher
149 contrast of font colors.
150
151 You also may be surprised with how many people override default site
152 font sizes. It's safer to not use pixels when defining font sizes..
153 http://usability.gov/guidelines/fonts.html#one (It specifically mentions
154 those over 65, but in general has been a thing I've heard more than once
155 from even younger people.)
156 <http://www.aaronshi.com/gentoo/guidepageprint.html>
157 I've only been using one reference source for credibility, but if anyone
158 wants a lot of reading material I'd be happy to send over what I have.
159 (Lastly and certainly outside the scope of one email.. Do we care about
160 SEO? With such a busy project has their ever been any thought about
161 marketing? I'm not talking about selling Gentoo, but something similar
162 to Moz project.) Just send me a private email for anything off topic.
163
164 I hope this information is helpful/valuable in some way...
165
166 Thanks again
167
168 C.