From: Aaron Shi <aaron@××××××××.com>
To: www-redesign@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [www-redesign] Current status
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:57:08
> Also, see how I'm doing the news items with divs instead of > tables? The > use of tables should be limited to tabular data unless > necessary. If you > want to play around with what I have there now try to stick > with divs. > If you we can't figure out how to make it acceptable that way we can > revert to tables as a last resort.
I would say that since tables are used to display relationships in data and there are relationships in our news table (horizontally: in a row the date/author is related to the news posting and together this is one instance; vertically: column of date/author, column of news postings), it makes some sense to use tables provided that the posting is only a short abstract i.e. a few lines long. Divs would work, but not sure if it structurally makes sense. If using divs, we'd have to set it up like a table to get the vertical alignments correctly. One div per news item as a container, then date/author in one div floated to the left (width specified value, so we don't get the horizontal white gap in between this and the abstract) and news posting in another div floated to the right (width auto). Have not tried this but it could work. If anything funny happens e.g. the news items containers overlap, the style="clear:both" br may need to be used. Aaron -- www-redesign@g.o mailing list