From: Kenny Hitt <kenny@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-accessibility@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-accessibility] default voice for the festival server
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:05:26
Hi.  Guess I was lucky because I fog speech-dispatcher and speakup
working on my Gentoo box the first time.  Now, if I could be so lucky on
my Debian box.

I've tried several possibilities for the AddVoice option in
/etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/ with no luck.
I'm still not sure if my problem is with speech-dispatcher or
festival in server mode.  Speech-dispatcher is the only app I have that uses
the festival server.  I noticed there has been a new upstream release
of speech-dispatcher and festival-freebsoft-utils.  So far, I've
stuck to using only Gentoo packages.  I'd like to stick with that
as much as possible.  What is the procedure for asking a Gentoo
maintainer to upgrade their package?

Btw, since festival can change to the first 3 voices it finds in
/usr/lib/festival/voices/english/ I can delete don_diphone and
rab_diphone to get us1_mbrola available.  Then, I can change
/proc/speakup/voice to 2 and get us1_mbrola.  I'm using it now.
The voice sounds better than software DECtalk or my AccentSA.